What's new

special effects becoming noticeable (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
There are effects which could not be seen in standard definition that need to be seen, for example you can now see clearly that Kong is holding a flower he has picked up, this is in the cave just before the fight scene with the snake creature, scratch removal meant it was not visible on the DVD edition, even if it was visible the resolution would have prevented you making it out very well, now you see it in all it's glory.I don't get this argument, i think many things people complain about seeing were visible, perhaps to a lesser degree but still visible on the original cinematic showing, all depends if you were seeing a first rate print or watching a worn muddied one with out of focus projector but they were there.Kong shot shown here, note the missing teeth that scratch removal took out on the DVD as well as the flower.http://www.darkrealmfox.com/dvd_bluray_comparisons/king_kong/dvd-bluray%20comparison%20-%20King%20Kong%20-%2024.html
My comment had more to do with Jimmy buying(which that itself was stupidity incarnate) into BD to begin with.Then coming up with various threads where "I have issues because the clarity is too good" or "grain causes judder"...or pick any one you want.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
FoxyMulder said:
The Brady Bunch, talking about Bug, i am wondering if they ever did a sequel to it as i recall seeing a film from the seventies showing bugs and a town catching fire, i just can't remember the film's name, maybe it wasn't a sequel but it always felt like one, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

I have always wondered how they did the cat scene in the film, it bothers me not knowing.
Yep. Same here.. expert effects in a film like that? They could have gotten a cat that died naturally and did some disturbing puppet work. ... I just saw the film last year and my thought after the cat is "that better not be real". I'd probably throw the movie away. Of course, even in the mid 70s it was against the law to do that to a real live cat so it's doubtful. Some how they made it look real. Not the first time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Radioman970 said:
Yep. Same here.. expert effects in a film like that? They could have gotten a cat that died naturally and did some disturbing puppet work. ... I just saw the film last year and my thought after the cat is "that better not be real". I'd probably throw the movie away. Of course, even in the mid 70s it was against the law to do that to a real live cat so it's doubtful. Some how they made it look real. Not the first time.
Yeah the guy who did the special effects went on to do Grizzly the year after, also i checked the BBFC site and it was released uncut, this means the animal scenes have to be faked because under UK law they would have cut the scene if it was real, they did a convincing job though.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i did not watch the brady bunch much. not that i wouldnt like it - i just never watched.

but to be honest, i dont think i would catch on to that type of stuff, even if both shows were favorites of mine.

at least, if they put in the slightest of efforts to change the scenes - simply cuz it plays no level of importance for me, along the story line.

the tz thing hit me right away. and i was talking to a tz enthusiast today, and his first remark was "that would sure spoil the show".

i guess in the best of worlds, we would see everything we should see, and nothing that was not intended to be seen.

i only saw king kong once as a kid. if the bd shows wires moving kong's body at the top of the empire state building - i just could not get into it.

so there may be at least some shows that i would prefer in lesser resolution, if it means i would not see unintended stuff.

on the other hand, i am not as technical or as much of a purist as many here - so i might not notice the wires. it would depend on how obvious it is.

i want to sit back, and simply enjoy whatever it is that i am watching. i dont sit there and look for the details of how they do things, cuz i dont want to waste any effort that will take away from the enjoyment of the show.

i listed all the blu-rays that i had seen at one point in the preview thread - there were no special effects on anything that was noticeable to me on any of the movies.

so i dont think i am too picky.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
FoxyMulder said:
Yeah the guy who did the special effects went on to do Grizzly the year after, also i checked the BBFC site and it was released uncut, this means the animal scenes have to be faked because under UK law they would have cut the scene if it was real, they did a convincing job though.
That's good to know. Disturbing effect. It's funny... cat on fire effect=disturbing, woman with hair on fire effect in Alice's Brady Bunch kitchen=bully bustin funny. (in fact, that couldn't be funnier unless someone photoshopped Alice sticking her head out from the back screaming)

@jimmyjet. I'm not sure if I'd like the Brady's so much if I didn't grow up watching it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's worth at least watching a few choice episodes... the followup films with Shelley Long are hysterical to long time fans of the Bradys. Lots of that may be lost on non-fans. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks