What's new

Speakon plugs?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,..still learning about this home audio,..Just received a new Crown amp to power a sub. It has speakon jacks for input as well as outputs. Going to head to the local Rat Shack today, but thought you all may be able to shed a better light on the whole thing. I understand they are a better way to terminate equipment in a pro sound set up, being put up and taken down a lot. Is this really very imprtant with a home theater system though? I realize as well, thats the way the amp is shipped. Are there adapters available to convert the speakon to RCA, and plain binding posts?

Thanks GRCRY,...>>>--->

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Check with Neutrik, at http://www.neutrikusa.com -- they manufacture the speakon connector.
If you can use a soldering iron, you can probably put together your own cables -- or a cable manufacturer might be able to custom manufacture one for you.
It looks like they make a speakon to 1/4" phono plug as another option.
Alternatively do some net searches to see what you come up with -- possible check a "pro" shop, like Guitar Center for connectors / adapters / premade cables.
Regards,

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure about the input side. That may be an XLR connector.

I use speakon connectors in my system. The ones I use have 4 terminations in them (they also come with 8). I have my speaker wires in the wall, and use the speakons at a wall plate by the equipment rack. One connection for 2 side surrounds and one for 2 rear surrounds. The are very easy to work with. Inside you have small lugs you can fit a 12 guage wire in and just screw it down. Some use a philips screw and others use an allen screw, I have used both.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

I don't think anyone is currently using Speakon as an input device. Which crown did you get?

While not really neccesary for home applications (or even for many pro uses, as the connector was designed to be a 4 conductor termination- and most amps are wired pin one only)- it is a very strong connector type, which might serve some benefits.

-Vince

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kevin,

Don’t waste your time at Radio Shack. They won’t have any Speakons. Try a pro audio store or a guitar shop.

Having only Speakons is pretty rare, even on a pro amp. Are you sure there aren’t any screw-terminals or binding posts?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I don't know which amp he has but the Crown CE seires does not come with Binding post's or barrier strip outputs from the factory but are available as an extra. When I bought my CE 1000 from guitar center the binding post outputs were included but from what I understand, they are an extra and don't ship with them unless specified. Anyway, the input is not Speakon, its either 1/4" or XLR but looks kind of like a speakon connector but it's not.

So you either need to get the binding post plate as an extra or get a cable with speakons on one end.

If you do have the CE model you also have the option to change the input sensitivity to .775V which is probably best if you will be using consumer gear to drive it. You can do this yourself if you know what to look for. Contact me if you need help.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys,..I did get a CE series amp. I knew it was coming with the speakons, but didn't know it would be such an issue. I am going to a pro audio shop today, to see what they have, but have also contacted Crown for the optional output plate. I was wrong as to the input side. It is a combo jack that receives either a 1/4" phono plug, or an XLR type plug. It does look like a speakon, and its produced by Neutrik. I hadn't had a chance to read the manual yet, and got that wrong. Didn't sound right to begin with.

Any helpfull info on this unit, otherwise would be great as well.

Thanks Kevin,...>>>--->

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks