What's new

Speakers.....Why so elusive? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll keep this short, and will appreciate beyond the realm of humanity any help someone can give me.

I am in the market for speakers. Looking to spend $800-$1,000 per speaker(Center channel, front, and rear surrounds, sub). I want a really great set of speakers to notice the difference over my casual rig now.

-I do not want to 'build' my own speakers.

-I do not want JBL. Bose, or whatever Best Buy tries to 'push' on me when I'm in that store.

-I do want to buy my speakers online if possible, as any store remotely close to me has nothing I'm interested in.

Problem is I know NOTHING about where to start looking. Is there a web site dedicated to carrying different brands of higher end speakers? I have looked until I'm cross eyed, and still can't find even one. I don't even know any speaker manufacturers to check their 'official' site. I want a very good(not great) home theater, and this my friends is a big step for me. First comes the hardware, then the theater set up( which should take me a few months to complete).

Please help me.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Brian,

Are you being serious? I don't know you but with 1434 posts, I cannot be sure that you actually are needing any help here.

If this post is a for real... It might help a bit to know what you are currently using for speakers, what you intend to use for electronics and how big your room is.

As a general recommendation for a higher-end 5.1 system, I would say to have a look at the Dali Ikon 6 Mk2 system. I have not heard the 5.1 system but I have heard a pair in a stereo system.. They were very nice... and I am a tough critic of speakers. They are rated for a small to medium room.

Manufactureres link: http://dali-speakers.com/display_content.php/INT/Loudspeakers.html/322/2613

A U.K. ad with some specs and comments: http://www.sightandsounduk.com/Dali-Ikon-6-Mk-2-5.1-AV-Package.html

Nick

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A lot of members around here only post in the software forums so they might not be that knowledgable about hardware .

Bryan, please clarify. $800-$1000 "per speaker/sub woofer" or $800-$1000 for all of them? I'm asking because you said a very good one (but not great). For $1000 you can get a good one. For $6000 you're going to get a great one whether you like it or not!

A list of the usual on-line suspects.

SVS, AperionAudio, AxiomAudio, AscendAcoustics, SaturdyAudio (Monitor Audio, PSB, GoldenEar), TheAudioInsidor (Swan, ARX, Dana), OzHomeTheater (Swan), HSU, CrystalAudioVideo, and a few others I can't remember right now.

Most high-end speaker companies don't allow their products to be sold by retailers on the internet. They're only available in-store so the customer can get better customer service, or so they say. There are internet sites that have some higher-end brands listed, like AudiophileLiquidators.com but I'd be leary of buying from them.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Oh yeah, sorry Brian and Gene. Being the gear junky that I am, I forget that there was anything else but hardware... .

Gene, thanks for the list. You mentioned some that I had not heard of before. Oh no, more gear lust coming soon.

Nick

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Your best bet is to listen for yourself. I've owned Mirage, Polk, Infinity, Definitive Tech, SVS, Klipsch, VonSchweikert.. find a good room and find what you like. I've had some I liked more then others, some less. But very few have been "Crap".. (despite all the love for Energy speakers at one point, it is one of the few I sat in front of and went "what?") Sales reps will say whatever. Good advice is to ignore that. Get into a room and listen. In some cases, that's hard to impossible. Like SVS.. one of the few I bought blind. But then again, they give a return grace period.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Nick, I'm the same way. I have all kinds of stuff (currently have five mid-range receivers in my house!) and two pretty good 5.1 systems and have trouble finding anything I like to watch on them !

I still have a pair of small Energy C-50 4" bookshelf speakers around here somewhere and they were the most laid-back speaker I've ever heard. The absolute opposite of Polk and Klipsch. But build quality for the price was phenomenal! Gorgeous cabinets, high quality drivers and tweeters and real attention to detail. Would probably be real good in a bright room (lots of windows, hard-wood floors, etc.).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by gene c

Most high-end speaker companies don't allow their products to be sold by retailers on the internet. They're only available in-store so the customer can get better customer service, or so they say. There are internet sites that have some higher-end brands listed, like AudiophileLiquidators.com but I'd be leary of buying from them.
Thank you Gene. This is exactly what I wanted to know. My total budget for Speakers is $5,000-$6,000. But Like I said, my area is absent of any real audio specific stores. Best Buy is about all I have, and I'm not dealing with them. Theaudiinsidor looks to be a pretty good site.

I like the looks of The Swan Diva loudspeakers. I'd love to get some to try out. As long as the return policy is decent from the site, I may order from them. Thanks for the information.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For that budget I'd also look at the SVS MTS series and one of their subs. DaveF bought them last year.

I have the original Swan/Diva's bought from OzHomeTheater.com (they work with Jon Lane at TheAudioInsider.com) and one of the reasons I went with them is how gorgeous they are. I bought the ones in Black Cherry vinyl but I've seen the real Rosewood ones and OMG! But too much $$$ for me at the time. Jon Lane is excellent to deal with and will answer questions truthfully via e-mail or land-line. Whichever you decide upon get a good sub from SVS, Elemental Designs or Lava.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks