What's new

Speakers Level Calibration on Onkyo TX-NR809 (1 Viewer)

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
My problem is that when I switch to the speakers level option on Onkyo, it starts playing internal test tones at pre-fed reference volume regardless of where the master volume dial is. I don't want that.
I had Yamaha 3900, which had the option to disable test tones. But onkyo just starts playing internal test tones at reference volume.
I want to calibrate speaker levels through avia disc at my reference listening volume (Not the avr reference volume), but I am unable to defeat internal test tones of Onkyo 809.
Any help??

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
Can anyone pls understand what I wrote?? Robert probably misunderstood.
I know how to use AVIA. I've been using it to calibrate speaker levels with rat shack analog spl meter a gazaillion times when I had Yamaha RX-V3900.
The problem is, I cannot defeat the internal test tones of Onkyo 809. When I play avia and try to calibrate the speaker levels, the test tones are playing from avia. But when I try to reduce or raise the speaker levels from AVR's relevant menu, it starts playing its internal test tones at reference volume regardless of where the main volume dial is.
I don't want those internal test tones playing while um playing the same from AVIA. I have to get into the speaker level menu of AVR to raise or drop the level, but the internal test tones kick in and start playing at reference volume.
How to defeat those stupid internal test tones in Onkyo 809, so I can calibrate my system at my own reference volume when I am playing AVIA?
I hope I am clear. Any help???

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check your remote for chan sel, level+, and level- buttons. On my 705 remote they are on the bottom right.
Also check out the Audyssey guide in my signature. Using Audyssey will give you more accurate results.
Using a DVD can be problematic. Always use the internal tones (if not using Audyssey) since they bypass all the 'coloring' introduced by the DVD and the receiver. Set each speaker to 75 db.

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
809 doesn't have those buttons. Audyssey does excellent job in configuring the bottom end (below 80 hz). But for higher frequencies, it sets the speaker levels way too low around -7, -8. I know it does that coz receiver is using internal tones at 75 db reference volume but it removes the thrust from sound, if you can comprehend what I mean. Its like walking with your knees bent.
I am able to configure the speaker levels at -1 (75db spl on rat shack meter) ) through avia at my own reference vloume, but it becomes very cumbersome getting into the speaker level setting menu. Coz onkyo starts playing its internal tones at reference volume.
When I had yamaha rx-v3900, I would play the avia disc and play the speakers calibration menu on the disc and then I would just simply go into level calibration menu on yamaha and simply +/- the levels while avia was playing the test tones. This is not the case with onkyo, at least, in 809.
Also, audyssey guide in your signature doesn't open. I've tried many times. Can u pls send me the direct link.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's odd. It opens for me.
http://www.willowville.net/ht/Audyssey%20Setup%20Guide.pdf
I didn't realize I had spaces in the name. I will have to fix that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.