What's new

Speakers for Outlaw's 1070 7x65 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I'm considering buying the new Outlaw 1070 A/V Receiver and wanted some advice as to which speakers might "mate" well with this piece of equipment. I've always liked the B&W 600 Series 3 line, but am not sure if the 65 watts per channel is enough power. Thoughts ???

Thank you.

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't have any other suggestions for you, and coming from experience you are right about the 600s. I owned a pair of the 602s for about 2 years and was using a 90wpc Harmon-Kardon receiver with them, and while they sounded okay, it wasn't until I got a 200wpc Rotel amp that they really opened up.

So, while 65 watts would let them play, I don't think that you would end up very happy with them. Having not owned other speakers in the 600 line I can't say how they would fair, but personally the 602 is the best 600 series speaker anyway, which is why I owned them.

Daniel

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
65 Outlaw watts is not the same as most other companies, based on what the 1050 was capable of. Though H/K rates their amps conservatively, the 1070 is probably more powerful than it's lower power rating would suggest, and I would say it's enough if you don't have a large room.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'll second what John said. I owned the 1050 a few years ago and loved it. It was a clear step up sonically from the Denon 1602 I replaced with it. The 65 watt rating is all channels driven, and it's on the conservative side. I think it's a great choice for a receiver.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Up to 2000 cubic feet, you should be able to play at reference with ease, providing you're using a sub. Larger than that, I'd say you might be disappointed. Room size and output requirements are the most important determinants of amplifier size.

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing against the Outlaw, I just really think that the B&Ws don't open up without a considerable amount of power coming at them.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I don't have any experience with those speakers, but as a rule of thumb I'd say any smaller bookshelf type speakers should be fine with an outlaw 1050/1070. Mains might not get enough juice, but smaller speakers should be fine.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
As previously mentioned Outlaw rates their gear fairly conservatively. I think the 1070 should run any of the 600 S3 series just fine. I'm sure Daniel is correct that his 602s opened up quite a bit with a Rotel 1080 but personally I think that's overkill for those speakers. Not that there's anything wrong with overkill.:D

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, it was certainly overkill Alex, but the amp was really purchased for the Thiel 2.4s that I was upgrading to, not the B&Ws.

Bill, please don't take anything I've said as a reason not to get the 600 series. I was quite content with them and am sure I would have remained so had I not been offered such a deal on the Thiels.

Plus, not having owned any Outlaw equipment I really can't say either way how they'll run.

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I guess I will just have to wait until Outlaw starts shipping this thing and people around here start to post their comments. Can't wait!

- Bill

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You will need some very efficient speakers. If your looking at internet don't forget to look at the Rockets and Axioms which most any of theirs (except maybe the biggest) would do well with that amount of power.

Mark M. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I'm planning on mating mine with a pair of Axiom M3tis. A pretty easy load considering it'll just be a pair of bookshelves, but I'll try to get my impressions up once I manage to get everything and break it all in.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bookshelf speaker doesn't mean easy to drive. I have bookshelf speakers, but they are certainly not so easy to drive at 4 Ohm nominal impedance. The M3s and M22s though, are pretty easy to drive. If you can squeeze it in, I'd opt for the M22s.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Bill,

Sorry we didn't answer your Swan question. I would think that the 1070 would run any of the Swan speakers pretty well.

Alex

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
John, when you say "If you can squeeze it in", what do you mean? I'm assuming budget, but just wanted to check.

Also, not being too much of an electronic engineer, wouldn't a 8 ohm speaker (more resistenace) need more power to drive vs. the 4 ohm?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks