What's new

Speakers for 20x14x8 HT room (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I have a room that is 20'x14'x8' for my home theatre that is split into 2 with a couch. half the room is my HT and other half is my eating area.

I was originally looking for a very small satellite set, but it looks like I can go a bigger since there is room on either size of hte TV for speakers on stands or wall mounts.
  1. Receiver is likely going to be HK AVR325 or Denon AVR-2803.
  2. 95% movies, 5% music. I rarely listen to music if I am not in my car or on my computer.
  3. Front speakers must either be black, birch or silver in color. Can't do cherry woods like the ELT package.
  4. Front speakers can probably be 12"x6"x6" (H x W x D) at most.

I was considering this list:
  • M&K K7 fronts, K4 surrounds
  • KEF KHT 2005.2
  • M&K K5 fronts, K4 surrounds
  • Klipsch RSX-5 front, RCX-4 center, RSX-4 surrounds
  • Velodyne Deco[/list=a]

Edit: I just removed the Energy systems out of the running and added in teh Klipsch and Velodyne Deco.

I would be using an SVS subwoofer most likely with whatever setup I get. Either that or a Hsu VTF-2.

I think my first choice would be the K&K K7 + K4 setup, but wondering if there was somethign for better value? This M&K setup would run $250 per K7 and $225 per K4. So $1250.

I've heard nothing but good things about the KEF KHT 2005.2 setup as well.

Problem is I do'nt know what is good for my size of room. I'm open to input here!

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Trevin, I would second what Curtis said here in checking out the two internet brands listed. I think you will get substantually more bang for the buck with either of those speakers than the speakers sold at a B&M store. Now you have to decide which speaker have the sound that you are looking for! :cool:

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
The KEF KHT 2005.2,Energy Encores, Energy Take 5.2, and the like...are a "QUANTUM" decrease in performance compared to the M&K K7 setup discussed earlier! You are headed for the "hometheater in-a-box" sound and perhaps need to delay the purchase and save for the "real deal."

The Axioms and Ascends are alternatives to the KHT and Energy that offer high quality at a surprisingly low price point.

The Axiom package would run you $1060.00/less sub(M22's, QS4's, VP150 center).

The Ascend setup would cost $896.00/less sub( CBM-170's, CMT-340C, HTM-200). Based on your rear channel placement constraints..direct radiating rear speakers would be my last choice...I don't think Ascend has a di-pole option.

So the difference in cost between the Axiom's and the M&K's is $190.00???? The difference between the HSU VTF-2($499) and the SVS 25-31pci($549)is $50.00......no contest!
Granted there is a considerable price differential between the M&K's(with SVS sub) and the Energy Take 5.2 with s8.2(8"sub yuk?)...about $1100.00 and $960.00 cheaper than the Axiom's. In light of the price you spent on your monitor...you are shooting yourself in the foot by low-balling the sound.
2 years down the road...are you going to be fretting the $1000.00?...no way! If it didn't hurt it wouldn't be worth it! Who said that?

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys! Very good info and suggestions so far.

As someone pointed out above, I am constrained for the rear speakers due to them being next to a main walkway in my living room... that's why I'm interested in the M&K K4s.
the options you suggested have surround speakers that are just way too big for me.

I agree with what you guys are saying in terms of other otpions being a step down in sound, but I guess one thing I was originally asking was wether the K7s might be overkill for my size of room. One concern i have is whether or not the K7 and K4 being 4ohm speakers are going to cause a load problem on the receiver.

I read the Denon 2803 manual today and it doesn't say anything about 4ohm support. It does however say that 6 to 16ohm is supported and running lower impedance may trip the "overload circuitry" and run the receiver excessively hot. Since the receiver will be in a cabinet, this sounds bad :)

If I went with a K5 front stage and K4s for surrounds, the load on receiver would be easier since only the K4 woudl be 4ohm (K5 are 8ohm), but are the K5s good fo rmy application? I would also be saving $300+ dollars by not going with the K7s that I could use for my sub.

How would this a K5+K4 setup (or the other K7+K5+K4 mixture i suggested) fair against the other options you guys have mentioned? Good for my size of room and viewing habits?

After auditioning the Energy Encore and Take5 system today, the Take5 is definitely out. But one system that I'm very interested in is the Velodyne Deco system. The satelliltees really surpised me with the sound output! I demo'd them off a Denon 3803 in a 20x20x8 room as well. the sub however sounded too thin.

Dealer also suggested totem speakers, but I have ruled them out because the surrounds are too big and would just get in the way of my living area.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
If the receiver will be going in an enclosed cabinet...an easy way to keep things cool is to mount a whisper fan (RatShack) on the rear panel directly behind the receiver and plug it in to the "switched" AC outlet on the receiver. To further quiet the fan use a rheostat to control speed and some double sided "sticky" foam to isolate the fan body (VE-1 from Parts Express works also).

The 2803 should power 4 ohm just fine.
Call Denon and talk to "Richard"..(973)396-0810

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Dont foget to add the Rockets at av123.com to your internet speaker list. They are my favs...

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Trevin...I hate to suggest an alternative to the K7's...they are really "that good", but I have installed the Klipsch RSX-5 satellite system with an SVS subwoofer with suprisingly good results.

RSX-5

I like the "top end" of this Klipsch speaker better than the Velodyne Deco speaker. You still have the problem of "mono-poles' in the back...but these are small and you have placement options to work with. The setup I used with these was L&R(RSX-5)/Center(RCX-4)/R&L rear(RSX-5)/center rear(RCX-4). The subwoofer was the SVS 25-31PC+.

My feeling is that this system is fuller than the Mirage OmniSat's...but lacked the lush 360 degree soundfield of the MIRAGE...THE BOTTOM LINE...sounded good, and the money saved allowed this individual to step up to a killer subwoofer!

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
A few other things:

I was originally asking was wether the K7s might be overkill for my size of room.
When dealing with "full range" tower type speakers, the size of the room comes into play....but you are looking at satellites and your notion of "over-kill" is confusing. Are you refereing to SPL's at the seating position? There is also the, more important, factor of accuracy. You could easily put the costly B&W Nautilus 805's in that size room driven by separates...is that "over-kill"...sonically....NO!

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
When dealing with "full range" tower type speakers, the size of the room comes into play....but you are looking at satellites and your notion of "over-kill" is confusing. Are you refereing to SPL's at the seating position? There is also the, more important, factor of accuracy. You could easily put the costly B&W Nautilus 805's in that size room driven by separates...is that "over-kill"...sonically....NO!
Sorry, what I meant by my question was whether I was over-buying for my room size. I mean, I could certainly put $100k speakers in that played better, louder, etc, but price-to-performance ratio wouldn't make sense for me and my room.

That's more of what I meant when asking if a K7 was "overkill". (ie. am I tapping the K7's full potential, and if so, if a K5 setup more worthwhile?)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
My feeling is that this system is fuller than the Mirage OmniSat's...but lacked the lush 360 degree soundfield of the MIRAGE...THE BOTTOM LINE...sounded good, and the money saved allowed this individual to step up to a killer subwoofer!
Thanks for the info... I have to find a local dealer that carries the klipsch now!

FYI - i just read that the M&K K4's are actually 4ohm and not 8ohm as i stated in my original post. This definitely is going to make me call Denon to find out if the AVR-2803 will really handle 4ohms on all channels or not. I really don't want to have to spend more on a receiver just to run 4ohm speakers. If the 2803 won't be able to handle it, i may just have to rule the K7+K4 setup out.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
What is the approximate price on the these Klipsch speakers?
I think you can find them for around $150.00 each.

How about The Definitive Technology ProMonitor system?
L/R: ProMonitor 100($175.00/each)
Center: Procenter C2($299.00)/same driver size as 100's
Surrounds: BP1.2X Bipolar surrounds($175.00/each)
SVS PB-1 or 25-31Pci($549-599)/instead of the DefTech sub
Total:$1598.00
This is a very powerful,dynamic, and yet, refined system that has the added benefits of Bi-Polar surrounds that will present a wider soundstage and be more forgiving in your particular application. This is about $200 cheaper than the M&K setup and would be my 2nd choice. This will outperform both the Velo, and Klipsch systems mentioned earlier.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
How about The Definitive Technology ProMonitor system?
L/R: ProMonitor 100($175.00/each)
Center: Procenter C2($299.00)/same driver size as 100's
Surrounds: BP1.2X Bipolar surrounds($175.00/each)
SVS PB-1 or 25-31Pci($549-599)/instead of the DefTech sub
Total:$1598.00
This is a very powerful,dynamic, and yet, refined system that has the added benefits of Bi-Polar surrounds that will present a wider soundstage and be more forgiving in your particular application. This is about $200 cheaper than the M&K setup and would be my 2nd choice. This will outperform both the Velo, and Klipsch systems mentioned earlier.
I was just looking at these speakers online yesterday. However, I was thinking about the Procenter 100 instead of the C2 since it is only 5" deep vs. 9" the the C2. This would allow me to put it on top of my TV (which my wife DEFINITELY prefers over wall mounting).

So you are definitely recommending the M&K K7 + K4 as first choice, and deftech setup described above (possible with the Procenter 100 instead of C2) as second?

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
My choices from the above mentioned systems:

#1 M&K K7/K4

#2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 100

#3 Mirage OmniSats

With the addition of the SVS subwoofer and not the related OEM's. I can't overstate how the subwoofer rounds out the package. All three above have their strong suits as long as they are mated with a "real" sub.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, thanks for all your help so far. You've been invaluable.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the M&K K7+K4 setup, but am going to audition the Definitive Technology speakers this week.

I was about to buy a refurbished Denon 2803 from eCost.com but it is out of stock. Everywhere else that is authorized to sell refurbs have it for at least $60 more than ecost. Ecost doesn't have an ETA on when they will be getting new one. I've heard of the Denon 3803 deal that 6ave is putting on (3803 for the price of a 3802), but the extra $200 is out of budget.

things are looking grim for finding a good price on a Denon 2803 right now.. darn. Would really suck to get all my speakers with no reciver :frowning:

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
So I pulled the trigger on the 6ave deal for a Denon 3803 :) It was out of budget, but the more I researched, it didn't make sense to cheap out on the receiver. the 3803 should be able to last me quite some time (i'm hoping!)

It's currently on backorder for 21 days, and in the meantime I'm considering perhaps the Pioneer Elite 43tx or 45tx as they are nearly the same price. the 43tx is about $125 cheaper whil ethe 45tx is abotu the same price.... thoughts?

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Update:

The Denon 3803 is on its way to me, but I also have a Pioneer Elite 45tx also. I got the Pioneer 45tx for $599 + $40 shipping from an authorized dealer in wisconscin. Apparantly he's trying to clear them out and this is the best price I've seen them for.

I'm likely going to keep the Pioneer 45tx instead of the denon, for the auto MCACC and ease of use. My room is a weird shape, and don't trust my abilities to learn out to use an SPL meter. The 2 year Elite warranty doesn't hurt either.

I also decided on this speaker setup:

M&K K7 for front stage
M&K K4 tripoles for surrounds

This combination couldn't be beat in the price category IMO. 10 year warranty to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks