What's new

Speakers dat don't get no love ... (1 Viewer)

DuaneD

Auditioning
How about Digital Phase? I was really impressed with these.
Not much press about them though.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Mark,
Everything you said about Genelec is true...except...they're from Finland, not Sweden.
Jeff,
When I read your post I wondered if you were from this area. So you discovered Sound Images, eh? The JMLabs and NAD combo gave it away.
I believe they are also ATC dealers. Now if you want one hell of a speaker the Active ATC's will really get you going. Don't even ask the price. If you have to ask, you probably can't afford them. ;)
Triad is another one. Most haven't heard of them because they're a custom install only product. They are quite possibly the best inwall solutions made.

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Indeed, Bill. I love the folks at Sound Images. Best shop in the area. I've dealt with the one in Maryland and Virginia. Nad is my No. 1 choice for my next receiver. They have it. HK 525 was next. they have it. Rotel was in the running. They have it. For speakers, JMlabs and PSB covered the price ranges I was looking at.

As for ATC, unfortunately, yes, they are out of my price range -- as are so many other really nice speakers I heard. The world of separates and beyond will have to wait a few years ...

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Tannoy's wich get little love here in Canada. Other great companies with little press ....

TOTEM (Mani-2 SE)
Silverline Audio (Sonata)
Gershman (Avante Guarde)
Theil (3.2)
Energy (veritas 2.4's)
KEF (20?)
Merlin (VSM/TSM)
Meadowlark (Heron i)
Coincident (Eclipse)

Personally I almost invariably like the "British Sound" in speakers which generally don't do very well here in NA. But if you would do your self a great disfavour not to listen to a pair of Tannoy's or Kef's before making a speaker decision.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Shion,
Another Tannoy lover :D . The sound is great, I can't say the same about customer service here in Australia though. Hopefully its better in Canada.
Cheers,
Mike

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Nht, Aegis, Magnapans, Atlantic Technology, RBH, and so many online only speakers (ACI, VMPS, GR Research, etc) are ones that I would suggest besides what's above.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

Haven't had any complaints so far. Of course haven't needed any customer service. Got me a pair of D700's that do just fine thank you. What are you running? Something from the dimension line perhaps?

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Shion,
I WISH! :D No, I am using Tannoy Saturns that use the same drivers as your Dimensions but much inferior cabinets + XO's (I blew some drivers and they cost me $$$ to replace :angry:). However, will be running them with some pretty top-notch electronics soon. Would love to own a pair of the D700's someday (brilliant!!!) , or even better, a pair of Wilson Benesch Chimera's *drool*.
Cheers,
Mike

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I second or third the Totem name...simply awesome. Also, i would like to put out PMC and Coincident speakers.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, i'll second (and properly spell) thiel. i own mirage's now so i'll give them a nod too. one of these days though...those thiel cs2.3's will be mine!!!

kevin t

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Totems and PMCs....

The little known PMCs worked in my favour when I upgraded my five NHT 1.1s to PMC TB1C and four FB1s. I was able to buy four mint used FB1s and a good condition TB1C for less then a set of new FB1s.

I also owned a set of Totem Arros that I sold and delivered to buyer who had a huge open area room and some really expensive frontend gear. I guess I must have looked shocked as he felt a need to tell me he bought it all used.
Well, those little tiny Arros filled that room with some pretty amazing sound that I was thinking "keep them!".

Tabish

Grip
I will say Infinity Interlude series, I have IL10 and they are one of the cleanest speakers in the price range IMO.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I agree about Totem.

Also some of the best sound I have ever heard came from a pair of Sonus Faber bookshelf speakers.

I also would like to hear Triangles too.

Legacy, the Focus and the Whisper.

Final electrostatics

Elac

Maybe the reason why we don't hear so much is because they are usually outta financial reach. Or they have such a small distribution area.

I would love to hear a pair of MBL Radialstrahlers.
Or see an amp by Gryphon. (not to side track)

There is so much out there, especially high-end, other than Levinson, or Krell. I wish I had the money so I could say, Krell? Hell no! I bought an Accuphase or a Gryphon amp.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I have to vote for Genelec .

I had never even heard of them.

I went to my local dealer to pick up some cables they made for me and as usual I asked. So what you got that's new and cool.

Well thay had this bookshelf black speakers set up next to some huge 12K B&W 800 series rosewood speakers. Strangley enough these little speakers were connected directly to the preamp.

So he walks around to the back flips the switches and says listen to this. OMG these things ROCKED. I don't usually like this term but there was no other way to describe it. Rther than standard Norah jones Diana Krall auditoning we threw on some Van Halen and I could not imagine speakers with 5 inch woofers producing tigh fast bass like that. These things would play insanley loud and not break up one bit.

Listening to some more traditional demo tracks they were very detailed. They are internally Bi Amped and have built in eq room contour functions. At 5K a pair (CAn) they semm pricy but to buy a total of 4 monoblock amps plaus the speakers to do the same thing well maybe they are a better value than I thought. And these were the 2nd smallest speakers they make.

They also make studio speakers including this scary thing that will play down to 20HZ and generate a skull crushing 136 DB at 6 feet away. This is LOUDER than standing 50 feet way from a military jet using afterburners.

I still drool over these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks