What's new

Speakers and Amp (1 Viewer)

pmccartn1

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul McCartney
Hello Everyone,
I am in the process of rebuilding my home theater.
I have just replaced my old Mitsubishi 60" projection TV with a new Samsung 63" Plasma, and my old 5.1 Sony reciever with a new Integra 7.2 DTR 40.1 reciever. My speakers are 13 year old Missions which I didn't want to have to replace, but need to add rear speaker to. Also because my system was built in I have been ripping and tearing out the wall to accomadate, for the new system which is much wider. During this remodel, my mission center channel which I forgot to remove, fell to the floor and busted...
My room is long and narrow, 13' X 35" with the seating somewhere in the middle.
My questions are,
1. What should I replace my center channel speaker with?
2. Should I even be using my old speakers?
3. My new Integra is 100 watts per channel, should I purchase the larger 135 per channel instead, what benefits would that be?
Sorry for all the questions, but all this has gotten very complicated over the years.
Thanks, Paul

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Something from Mission that is timbre matched to your mains.
2. That's up to you. Do you like how they sound?
3. The extra 35 watts will give you .1db of headroom. You will need sensitive measuring equipment to determine any benefit.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I'm trying to understand where you get .1dB headroom. isn't it for every doubling of power we see 3 dB, so difference of 135 to 100 is 1.3 dB. I'm definitely not trying to argue that he will hear any difference with 35 more watts, I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is in a perfect world. You have power compression as the voice coil heats up. The higher the temperature, the smaller the increase of SPL per additional watt. During car SPL competitions, you don't see competitors warming up. They start with "cold" subs for their 5 second burst of sound. If they have to compete again quickly, they will swap out subs to make sure they are at least room temp for the next round. See section 2.h - http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/subwoofer-measurement-part-1/efficiency.

My .1db was used as an example. No mathmatical calculations were performed to arrive at this number. No measurements were taken. It was used for dramatic effect to highlight that wattage is the least important number to look at in a receiver.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for your explanation. Hope you know I wasn't trying to start an argument. I always want to be as well informed as possible. And I agree with you that wattages posted by manufactures is definitely not the most important factor and can often be misleading.

keithlarson

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith Larson
I'm trying to hook up a speaker system throughout my house. I need a system that will handle my tv and my pc and my audio system. What do you have available in this website? I would appreciate any help.

My Blog

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks