What's new

Speaker Wires??? (1 Viewer)

David.DJ

Auditioning
i was wondering if i use a regular headphone wires to use to hookup my speaker to a receiver will it work and will the sound suck if i use the headphone wires. I am asking this question because i dont want to buy wires and i have a lot of dead headphones.

second question is that if i insert two speakers in one socket of a receiver will the volume go up or down?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Will it work? Of course. Any through connection between the amplifier and the speaker will result in sound from the speaker.

Will the sound suck? Impossible so way without knowing something about your system.

Not sure it’s worth the trouble, though, David. Headphone cables are very tiny and rather fragile, and the wire inside them is super thin. It would take surgically precise use of a razor knife and/or wire strippers to extrude enough of the wire to make a connection. And if you have more than 4-6 ft. to go, splicing is a problem. It’s difficult to splice wire that tiny.

Personally I can’t understand an aversion to “buying wire” if someone wants to get into this hobby. Even 10c/ft. lamp cord would be a better option to finagling with headphone wires.

second question is that if i insert two speakers in one socket of a receiver will the volume go up or down?
Sorry – I don’t know what a “socket” is on a receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David.DJ

Auditioning
what i mean by the socket is that when i insert two wires of the speaker and insert it in where i am suppose to insert the speaker wires, will the sound or voul go down, get it?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Dead headphones are a strange thing to collect. Go down to the Home Depot and buy some 14 or 12 gauge...very inexpensive.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Just another option..

You can go to www.partsexpress.com and order a 100' spool
of SoundKing 12Awg cable (better than Home Depot lamp cord)
for a little over $30.00 and what you don't use you can
always sell to your buddies for thier car systems.

Do not wire more than one speaker to one binding post on a
reciever period.. Just don't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks