What's new

Speaker Wires for HT System (1 Viewer)

Robert_Ga

Auditioning
I am going to purchase the Marantz SR-7000 or Onkyo TX-DS777. I have the Definitive Pro Cinema 100 series. What speaker wires do I need? Where do I purchase them?
THANK YOU!!!
Robert

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
That depends on your priority - quality of sound regardless of cost, or best "bang for the buck". Let's say there are four types of wire, and we rate the quality of sound that you'd get by using them on a scale from 1 to 10. Would you rather:
1) Spend $1 per foot for wire that scores 9.6?
2) Spend $10 per foot for wire that scores 9.8?
3) Spend $100 per foot for wire that scores 9.9?
4) Spend $1000 per foot for wire that scores 10?
If you answered #1, I would recommend basic 12 gauge wire from some place like Home Depot, or even the stuff from Recoton Direct (12 gauge - 30 ft for $3!). Many people on the forum use this stuff, and it works really well.
If you answered #2, I would recommend heading over to bettercables.com to get a quote for some custom length wires with whatever ends you prefer (bananas, spades). The quality is supposed to be outstanding for the price, and it compares favorably to much more expensive stuff.
If you answered #3, I wouldn't really know what to recommend. There are others who are more knowledgeable about stuff in this class than I am, and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.
If you answered #4, I would suggest hiring your favorite musicians to come and perform at your house instead of wasting money on wire. :)
These are just my suggestions - I'm sure others will have more suggestions for you in a few hours. Happy HT-ing!
------------------
Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
If you answered #3, I'd take a look into Audioquest cables. Tara Labs also makes great wire too.
Audioquest has a line of cables called "Slate". I was taking a look into getting a pair of those for my front speakers. But, persuaded otherwise by th HTF, I went ahead and bought the 12 gauge Home Depot wire. I have heard a lot of great things about those cables, and for the most part everyone was right.
I had a similar post on the forum about a month ago... Speaker wire is a very touchy subject, and everyone has their own opinions. As I was once told "Is it worth it to go with professional cables over your basic 12 gauge wire that can be found at Home Depot? Well, the jury's still out on that one!"
If it were me, and I wanted to spend some money, but not too much, I'd take a look at the Better Cables. I've heard a lot of good things about them. But if you don't want to spend the money and want a good generic wire, take a look at the Home Depot or Recoton wires. As a word of advice though, go with the 12 gauge, you really don't want anything less. At least for your front speakers.
BTW Dax, that was an awesome post. Good info without getting way into detail. I'm gonna save that for future reference.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Robert,
If you are looking at going to #3 then you can look into Monster M series speaker cable. Though I have approx. The same receiver as you and I did purchase the M series speaker cable at say 600+ for a set L&R and more for the center I would not recommend them for the price. They have to be by far the best speaker cable that I have ever seen but do not think that cable which is 4" around will do anything better than standard good cable. Less distortion, Maybe, Better sound perhaps, Better for Wow effect definitely. If I had it to do again I wouldn't. If you want to go with #4 then you can look into Monster Sigma series speaker cable. It runs about 3-5K for a 1-2 meter length. I would personally go with #2. Best of luck,
KyleS
------------------

KyleS

Screenwriter
Dax you have to save your thread as it is great for future reference.
KyleS
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks