What's new

Speaker wire... (1 Viewer)

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Since I have new speakers coming it seems like I should ask what is recommended. Is all speaker wire the same? Is a certain gauge best?

In case it matters I'm waiting on SVS sbs-01 speakers with a Sony STR DE675 receiver.

Also, will any subwoofer cable work or are certain ones better? I don't want to fall for the monster cable overpricing.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You are wise to avoid Monster.

All cable of the same gauge is essentially the same. For shorter runs you could get away with 16awg. Runs longer than 30 feet or in the walls should probably be 12awg. I personally just use 12awg for everything since the price isn't that much different.

For a subwoofer, just get an RG-6 cable with an RCA-type connector.

I got my most recent cables from Blue Jeans Cables and have been very pleased.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
You can also get your speaker wire at Home Depot and pay by the foot.

Other places to buy cable at reasonable prices are Blue Jeans Cable as Seth mentioned, or Monoprice.

Definitely keep your hard earned money as far away from Monster as you can.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I have a lot of extra speaker wire at work that I think will do that job. This is what it says on the cable...

dominator custom series 16/2 type cm (ul) e156866 or type cl3

I'm pretty sure it's made for inwall, at least it would make sense. It was used in a fireworks store so I'm assuming the former manager bought safer wire to run in here.

So will that work as well as anything else? I don't need much and there's a LOT here.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Most just use two lengths of regular wire. Personally, I've never found bi-wiring to make any difference, either accoustically or scientifically, unless you are using separate amplifiers/channels to drive each connection.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
That wire label 16/2 means "two conductors of 16 gauge" I would get fatter wire...like 12 gauge.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

You could just pretend it was biwired and it should have the same effect :)

jason123

Agent
can you use standard rca cables or component cables as subwoffer cables? is their really a difference?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've had experience with monoprice and give them a :emoji_thumbsup: for price and service.

They were much cheaper than anyone else and quick delivery for a nice, professional cable.

HT ROB

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert

Well I have some now but I have had them awhile. We just upgraded our speakers to Monitor Audio GS10's :D
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
. We should get them on the 14th, I will try it both ways and let you know what I think. These speakers are amazing! and very transparent and detailed so if there is a difference it will show with these speakers.
The 14th will not come soon enough!

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Make sure you do that testing "blind." Get a friend or family member to adjust the setup without you knowing which is which. Otherwise you may hear a difference because you want to hear a difference.

Now, if you get into biamping, that is a different ballgame all together, but also adds expense.

HT ROB

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert

Yes! THEY CAME IN EARLY! :eek:
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
Man these are beautiful!.......ok back to the topic. Since these speakers are bi-amp-able just want to see if it's worht it

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
How refreshing to see a BS-free discussion of speaker wire and wiring.

In terms of sources of cable, also try ebay. I picked up an insane quantity of Philips basic standard speaker wire which cost less than the mailing charge.

One very boring but practical point - always allow a bit more speaker wire than you need at the moment. You might think your system is perfectly set up now, but if later on you want to tinker with speaker positions or you for some reason have to change the layout of the room, there is nothing more annoying than realising that your cut exactly to length piece of wire is now a yard too short ...

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters

bi-amping is the way to go, it opens up a whole other window, but it costs. the question is, is it worth it, the answer is yes.

HT ROB

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert

Ok sorry Dan just realized I'm trying to bi-wire and not bi-amp them :) . I'm using Denon's 3808. The little I have had time to fool around with this,there is a difference. I'm a newbie with this so not sure how to explain this. The volume doesn't have to be turned as far for the same sound and i guess the soundstage is larger or wider I guess. There is a little more detail to the sound also.
So you could just raise the volume but I think that wouldn't do anything for the detail. Just my own observation so take it for what is worth.

ps. on a side note we are so glad we went with Monitor Audio.We listened to alot of speakers and we found nothing that came close to these speakers for what we paid. Did we find something better? Oh yes but we would have to spend 2-3 times more $ in order to do so.The better speakers were no where near the extra $.
They are just amazing!

snowscaper

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Take a look at what R. Russell has to say about speaker wire.
Goggle search Roger Russell / Speaker wire.
I tried to post the url but since I'm a newbie they wouldn't allow it.

Snowscaper

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks