What's new

Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Nope, just buy sufficient gauge wire. 12-gauge works plenty fine for pretty much any application and is quite cheap by the spool.

That, and buy enough for your needs otherwise, well, you won't have enough.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
There is more profit in brand name speaker wire and interconnects than in virtually any other type of AV product. Monster Cable is probably the easiest example.

Steer clear of brand names. If you have any runs approaching 35 feet, then 12 gauge is a 'never have to think about it again' choice.

Try your local mega-hardware store, i.e., Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and a spool will be the least expensive.

And, like Chris said, get enough. And I would add, and then add a little more. You never know when you might re-arrange your speakers, or move.

Just as an FYI. Some years ago, a scientist did a study comparing everything from solid copper battery jumper cable, to rather expensive 1.5 inch wide multistrand woven wire (more fit for the inside of a computer!), and a number of high end speaker wires. At the end of the day, the difference from worst to best amounted to about 0.25 db at 20KHz. This kind of difference is considered just barely audible.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Andy

Those are some awsome charts, certainly enough to make my head swim. What I failed to notice, however, were any FR measurements. I must be confused. With all those numbers, what are we to make of the effects on FR of those pages and pages of charts?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You'd need to know the output impedance of the amp at various frequencies as well as the impedance of the speakers at various frequencies which could then be used to model the degree of FR attenuation. Or....you could just say that you want a thick enough cable without an extraordinarily high capacitance and move on to more challenging matters such as dealing with the room.

lancer1558

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Roerhick
Andrew, great articles on wiring. The one that catches my interest is the artice entitled "A Practical Realist" by Brian Florian. Basically, he states: He used in-wall Ultralink CL414 cable 14 gauge 4 condutor wire that he purchased it for 75 cents a foot.
I am doing a quick check for in-wall wire and I am unable to come close to his price. What would be a fair price for this wire by-the-foot and where do you buy it?
Thanks,
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks