speaker wire under carpet?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Don.l, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Hey all. I am going to be installing base shakers for my 4 seats. I will have one set of speaker wire going to each seat. So, is it OK to run speaker wire under the carpet and padding? Will it degrade if it is walked on? Is there special flat speaker wire you can get for this purpose?

Thanks
    Don

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

You can purchase special flat speaker cable for this purpose. On occasion, I have even seen it in sock in some of the stores. However, your prices are usually better if you buy it at a place such as this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=370

Bruce

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I had regular 12-gauge speaker wire under-carpet and you could barely feel it even with no shoes on. With shoes, you didn’t even know it was there. It will partly depend on the carpet, I imagine. I figure it will be more noticeable with ultra-flat carpets like burbur (sp?) than with a pile carpet. With the former, I think I’d go with a flat speaker wire.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I live about 20 minutes from Parts Express, and I will have to get some.

Don

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I did this with generic 16-ga speaker wire in my previous apartment, and it worked well. It wasn't really noticable unless you were feeling for it.

Strictly speaking, this is probably a fire hazard. You've got non-certified electrical wires, in areas with foot traffic, under flammable materials. Obviously, this didn't stop me and my apartment didn't burn down. But maybe this is of interest to you.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Not a problem with speaker wires. They don’t generate any heat - which explains why your apartment is still standing. [​IMG].

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt