What's new

speaker wire connectors (1 Viewer)

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
I have a Denon AVR-1513 and where the speaker wire plugs in to the unit, they have the little tab you push up, which then opens the hole to insert the wire into. I have your standard copper/silver speaker wire. I do not recall what gauge it is.............standard speaker wire at the big box hardware stores.

i have read a few places that a lot of people have trouble putting any type of connectors on the end of the speaker wire due to the red/black touching each other.

can anyone recommend a speaker wire connector that is small enough to not touch the other connectors that are in the surrounding areas?

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I used something very similar to these back when I had connectors like that: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH11R-Speaker-Wire-Mini-Pins/dp/B003GSLEJO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388600364&sr=8-7&keywords=speaker+wire+connectors and these http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-109438-High-Quality-Copper-Speaker/dp/B0097JLRZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388600539&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+wire+connectors

I prefer the second type over the first due to ease of installation and the wire not pulling out of them. As far as brand goes you can go with the brand you like :) I've used Monster, Acoustic Research, and Sowell and have been happy with all of them.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
hmmm, i was looking at them too prior to asking the question.
as you know, the area where the wires are, are rather compact. Do you know if there barrels of these connectors end up touching each other? You can't have them touching, right?

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
You are correct, you cannot have them touch, but I've never had an issue with them touching before. If you are worried about that, get some that have the insulator on them. Most of the straight pin plugs I have used have a small diameter, so I didn't have an issue.

Of course there is always just skipping them as a whole too. They are by no means a needed thing.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
makes it look neater/more organized. plus its kind of a pain in the arse to put the wire in the hole making no strands are lingering.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could also use the Monster Twist Crimp. Yeah, they cost too much, but they are plastic where there would be any chance of contact.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
schan1269 said:
You could also use the Monster Twist Crimp. Yeah, they cost too much, but they are plastic where there would be any chance of contact.
O yes, those are nice

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would not bother using any type of speaker wire connector on a receiver with the type of connector that you are describing. I would just take the time to twist the wire and carefully insert it into the hole in order to avoid stragglers. I think a direct connection to the wire would be more mechanically sound than using speaker wire connectors. Cheaper too.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
I would have to agree Edwin. It is definitely cheaper. I have done it this way for years. I guess in a way, once they are connected, they are set and shouldnt need to be moved again.........

Sure I'd be saving $12, which makes more sense!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The way Denon "engineered" the entry-level XX13 and new E series leaves lots to be desired. The "tight wire" connects are almost a must. Unless you want to lag the AVR upside down in your lap.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
crankbait09 said:
tight wire connects??? do you mean the connectors or the bare wire getting put in to the receiver?
"Tight wire" is a style of connect. If you look...Binding postSpadeTip(straight or 45°)Tight wire

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
i apologize for my lack of knowledge but when i google "tight wire" connectors, i don't see anything that relates to what i am trying to accomplish. can you help me out a little more?

thank you

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
The way Denon "engineered" the entry-level XX13 and new E series leaves lots to be desired.The "tight wire" connects are almost a must. Unless you want to lag the AVR upside down in your lap.
Why would he have to lay it upside down in his lap? I took a look at a picture of the back panel of the model he has. The type of speaker connector and layout looks pretty much standard to me. Unless you are referring to the over/under layout of the positive and negative terminals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks