What's new

Speaker Wire....BiWire vs. Single Wire?? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Which means the output impedance of the amp is small so it behaves more like a pure voltage source and doesn't audibly interact with the speaker's impedance curves.
I doubt you'd benefit either.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly what I use. The electronic external crossover is specifically designed for my speakers (VMPS Ribbon Edition FF1s).

Jon_S

Grip
Real Name
J
That sounds like a great way to go if the crossover is matched to the speakers.

Davey_T

Stunt Coordinator
Now, I'm no expert, but no one seems to point out the benefit of cutting the resistance of the wire approximately in half by biwiring, reducing the amount of energy being converted into heat, thus reducing the workload of the amplifier at a given output level from the speakers.

Regardless of an audible difference, wouldn't this be a benefit? Now, I concur that this is only applicable on long cable runs, but it happens to apply in my case--my equipment is at the back of the room, and I run Polks that like a lot of power.

It certainly seems whatever I can do to boost the efficiency of power transmission from my amp to my speakers is worth it, regardless if an audible difference I can put my finger on. Hell, isn't this why we recommend using 12 gauge wire instead of, say, 18?

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Dave

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Assume an output voltage from the amp of 40 volts, and a speaker impedance of 8 ohms. with 10 feet of speaker wire, the difference in power between 16 gauge and 12 gauge would be about 0.6 watts. Quite trivial.

Davey_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is why I pointed out that it's a larger benefit on longer cable runs, perhaps 50 or 60 feet, and every little bit helps!

:)

Dave

GregBe

Second Unit

I just bought a pair of Cambridge Soundworks M80 bookshelf speakers. These are far from high end, but have 4 connectors on each speaker, and CSW recommends bi-wiring them.

I have extra speaker wire laying around so I could bi-wire them, use the jumper, or "use speaker wire" to make my own jumper.

1)is there any downside to bi-wiring (other than using more cable)
2)if using speaker wire is a better jumper, can you describe exactly how to do it.

Thanks
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks