What's new

Speaker upgrade question (1 Viewer)

Josh W

Agent
I have a Klipsch SC.5 center speaker. I also recently upgraded my towers to the Klipsch RF-5. Now my center speaker sounds drowned out by the sound from the towers. A salesman told me I'd need to get a more powerful center. I've been looking at the Klipsch RC-3II. Should that fix my problem, or do I need to make an adjustment on my receiver? (I do have the volume for the center turned all the way up on my receiver). Any help is appreciated.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Have you calibrate your speakers yet? If not I suggest you start there before you start replacing your center channel.

Josh W

Agent
How do I calibrate them. I know people recommend sound meters. But I don't know how to go about it, because my receiver doesn't let me adjust the sound for the towers. I have a Sony STR-DE485 receiver.

Nick V

Second Unit
Josh,

If I was you I'd consider upgrading that receiver before anything else.
All you need to do to adjust the fronts is change the R/L balance. Depending on what disc you have: Video Essentials, AVIA, Sound & Vision, you calibrate your speakers using an SPL meter to either 75 or 85 dB.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Josh W. What has happened is that your newly acquired L&R speakers appear to be more efficient than your old ones.

If you do not have an SPL meter you can get close to a level match by ear. Listen to the tones/white noise and pay special attention to the levels of the L&R compared to the center. Bring the center up or the L&R down to get them to sound the same.

What the salesman probably meant was to get a more efficient center speaker. This will work perfectly of course if the efficiency gain of the new center matches the efficiency gain of your new L&R compared to your old ones. It will also fatten his wallet and thin yours. So I would try level matching what you have, if you're still not happy change the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks