Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by abrysdam, Nov 20, 2007.

1. abrysdam

abrysdam Auditioning

I am in the process of putting a plasma TV in our newly finished basement. The plasma will be located between a window and sliding door and the back wall has a door in it.

I am looking for suggestions for speakers (in-wall, bookshelf, or floorstanding) that would include 2 fronts, center, sub and 2 surrounds (would be open to a 7.1 system as well). I am willing to "skimp" in this area as I just want good sound for sports and movies, but I don't need anything that will blow the roof off.

Also, my biggest mistake with the whole project was not running speaker wire prior to construction. Any ideas on how much this would cost? per hour?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

The only suggestion I'm going to give you is,don't "skimp" on your audio purchase. You said you just want speakers for sports and movies,however, when you watch movies I'd think you want them to sound really good. You should spend as much on the audio as you spent on the video. Trust me, you'll regret it if you "skimp". I'm sure others here will agree.

3. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

how big is the room and what is your budget?

4. MaxL

MaxL Supporting Actor

I agree there are certin kinds of skimping to be avoided, by like most things in this universe, skimping is relative. while i wouldn't recommend getting small sub/ sat system or cheap HTIB, there are relatively inexpensive solutions that sound significantly better than they do for not a lot, if any, more money.

option 1- $780 + shipping and handling, 5 psb alpha c's and monitor audio asw 100 sub from saturdayaudio.com. this will sound better than just about anything you can find for the $$. the downsides are that the speakers all being centers are relatively large and the sub, while amazingly good in terms of output and sound quality for its size, is very small meaning it just can't make really big booms in larger rooms.

option 2 - athena from audioadvisor.com. 4 as b1.2's + as c1.2 + as p4100 sub - $500. again tough to beat for the $$. weaknesses - not the best center channel speaker and that's the heart of your movie sound, decent amouts of bass but not the quality or deeper low end you might like. again, these are relatively small compromises at this price for 5 speakers and a sub.

for options 1+2 switching to an svs pb10 sub would be a good upgrade.

option 3 - athana's micra 6 HTIB solution $300 from audioadvisor.com. no, it's not the best and makes greater compromises that any listed above but if the room's not huge, this has to be the best price to sound quality ratio of any all in one speaker system i've heard.

remember, none of these includes an avr or disc player, those plus cables with need to be purchased in addition. expect to pay at least $300 for this stuff and over $500 if you want to use HDMI with your new plasma. those are bare minimum starting prices, you could spend much more. keep in mind that you should spend more on your speaker and sub than on the electronics. spending an extra $300 on a sub or speakers will have a much greater impact on the sound quality than spending it on your source ar amplification.

don't know the cost on wiring. but generally it's done by an electrician, so whatever their hourly rate is.

5. TriMe

TriMe Extra

You might do a search on-line for a "low voltage" electrician. Also, look for home theater installers...Trust me, you do not have to be an electrician to run speaker wire. You actually may be better off, asking your local stereo store if they recommend someone. Also, many installers buy direct from manufacturers, so they do not rely exclusively on their hourly charge for income, and may offer an installation plus product package.