What's new

Speaker Suggestions for Bedroom (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone recommend a small speaker setup for a bedroom? Either two decent sounding sounding speakers, -- i.e. respectable bass -- or two speaker- subwoofer combination for under $500.00?

TIA,

Geoff

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
look at psb's maybe a bit big though...the image 3LR's get great reviews....

you might be able to find some paradigm studio 20's for around that price..

some people really like the dm303's by B&W, could also get the 600's

Rich

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
The Energy Take 5.2 is a possibility, very highly regarded. May not have tons of bass due to small drivers but they still sound great for music without a sub. And if you dont plan on watching many movies then you dont even need to worry about a sub.

Marc H

Second Unit
Dahlquist has some very nice sounding bookshelf speakers which have quite remarkable bass extension for their size.

John Gates

Second Unit
Geoff,

I'm thinking about the same thing...

My current plan is a pair of teak nOrh 3.0 prism speakers paired with a nOrh SE-9 integrated tube amplifier.

Here's a link to a pic of the nOrh 3.0 prism (and if you look farther down, you can see another 3.0 design that is made out of marble). http://www.norh.com/news/0102/index.html

The teak 3.0 prism is $195 shipped.
The marble column 3.0 is $350 shipped.

Here are some pics of the nOrh SE-9 integrated tube amp: http://www.norh.com/news/0902/index.html
http://www.norh.com/products/se9/index.html

The SE-9 is $399. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think this'll be a sweet setup for my master BR. I believe the SE-9 will allow subwoofer out, but you'd have to verify this with nOrh.

I'm extremely happy with my nOrh gear, and I have found they offer extremely high quality at their pricepoint. They also have a look and feel you just don't find every day. Excellent conversation pieces with AWESOME sound.

Good luck in your search!

John G

John Gates

Second Unit
Oops Geoff.... I just realized what forum I'm in. ;-)

My recommendation above was for a very high quality (for price) 2-channel setup. If you're looking for surround sound setup, please ignore my post. If you want top drawer 2-channel, this might be an option.

John G

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the B&W dm303s. I use them for my bedroom setup and am very happy with them. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend 'em without a sub. With a sub, though, they're excellent for music and movies. The downside is that they're not shielded, so it's a bit hard to place them if you have to deal with things like a computer or need to place them close to the TV.

Just my $0.02.

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
I've been checking out all of the suggestions.

Yes, John, I'm looking at 2-channel -- should've specified that -- The Ascends sure get more positive reviews than the usual on Audio Review... Will listen to the DM 303's as my main 5.1 system is all B&W 600 series.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Geoff

matt_yots

Grip
Hmm, Friday night and I have to stay in to work Saturday mornings... this is why I invest in mid-fi 2-channel audio.

I found a pair of NHT SB3s (demo, scratch on one speaker visible under direct lighting, 1/4" nick on the other) at my local hifi store for $350 (they retail for $600). So scour local retailers.

Option #2: Search for some used used NHT superones or Polk Rt25-28's with the silk dome tweeters and match them with an 8" sub from Aperion audio (www.aperionaudio.com). This combination would require some extra integration work...an annoying task at best, but would produce better ambient sound.

Option #3: If you don't mind small floorstanders, I would suggest some KEF Cresta 3s. Super cheap (~$300) online and they have a wide soundstage like no other in the price range. Main drawback- stick em' in a corner and they boom. Placement sensitive.

The first suggestion is best for serious listening. BTW, SB2's are almost identical sonically.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Ascends sure get more positive reviews than the usual on Audio Review...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the Ascend site www.ascendacoustics.com and read the professional reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks