What's new

Speaker Suggestions for 2 channel? (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit

Oops.... :b 626R was what I intended to shamelessly promote.

If 2K is the budget, those used nOrh 9.0's on audiogon would be just too difficult for me personally to pass up. BUT, that said, I haven't heard the 626R yet. Many nOrh fans are moving from the 9.0 to the VMPS RM-2 or the RM-40, but nOrh still makes a world-class speaker worth considering, especially if you can find used for 50% off retail. :D

Lots of other good suggestions here. I really think you're going to have a BLAST listening. To audition VMPS or nOrh, you're probably going to have to find owners nearby who will give you a listen, but this can be fun as well.

Enjoy the journey, and let us know how the search is going! Those of us who don't have a lot of dough to spend right now are savoring the vicarious speaker-shopping experiences of others. ;)

John G

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Those Proac's do sound quite nice. The clear woofer/with the copper(?) dust cover is kinda fun to look at, even if the finish is kinda boring.

They'd be another great pair to consider. At this kinda price, you're going to want to hear what ever in your house with your stuff.

I lugged my stuff to someone elses house to hear them against a demo pair and the proac's. It's amazing how much different stuff can sound in different rooms and different electronics.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
It's funny how the poster says he likes the sound of silk dome tweeters and 75% of the suggestions are for speakers with other tweeter types be they ring-radiator, ribbon, or some metal.

My vote for some nice silk dome tweeter speakers would start with the Habeth Compact 7 as was already mentioned. This speaker did something that is unheard of in this day and age. They lowered the price it used to sell for $2495 and when they switched distributors the price dropped to $1995. Had to point it out, has nothing to do with sound, but still it has happened so rarely since I have been keeping up with things that it is newsworthy. Very good speaker also, although if you already have stands that you are intending to put the speakers on they are probably too big, for they need slightly different stands then the typical standmount speaker.

Another suggestion would be to check out the Joseph Audio RM7si Signature for $1799.
The Dynaudio's mentioned would also be great but you would have to get them used to be in your price range. Most of the Proac stuff is also out of your range unless you go for the Tablette series or used again.
And then of course if you not set on silk dome tweeters the VMPS 626R and GR Criterion would both be good options to investigate.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the Harbeth Compact 7's have an aluminum dome tweeter. But, since he didn't say that silk domes were a requirement (only that he "liked" them), I felt I had enough wiggle room to suggest the Harbeths anyhow. :)

The Compact 7's do meet most of the rest of his criteria, though. They're less than $2k, they're monitors, blend well with a sub, are magical with jazz and female vocals and are nice looking (IMO).

Like I suggested earlier, it's always best to listen to as many speakers as possible without having preconceived ideas of how a speaker is going to sound based on its technology (or reputation or price, for that matter).

I also like to listen to jazz and female vocals. I've got Spendor S3/5 ($900 new) speakers and a Velodyne SPL-800 ($1100 new) subwoofer. The tonal accuracy and stereo imaging capabilities of the Spendors are absolutely wonderful, especially with female vocals. A great setup for $2000. You might want to give them a listen. Good luck with your choice.

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Editted: Forgot the all important word NOT in the first sentence. It's always the details that get me.

All,

Thanks for all the speaker suggestions. Just for clarification:

1. I have not listened to a myriad of speakers. It just so happened that of the relatively few that I have heard happen to have silk dome tweeters. I don't really care if the tweeters are made out of old tube socks if the speakers sound great.:D

2. I have heard the Dynaudio's at a store (once). However, I was listening to unfamiliar music so I'm don't have anything for comparison. They sounded great but they were attached to WAY pricy equipment.

3. DIY stuff is not completely out of the realm of possibility. Unfortunately, I solder like what one would expect of a software engineer :b. If I would go that route, I'd probably have to go through an iteration or two before I'd trust myself with good drivers.

Again, thanks for all the responses. Hopefully, the weather will be rotten this weekend and I'll be able to steal some time to go listen.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
DIY stuff is not completely out of the realm of possibility
Spoken like a Landmark Education Graduate. You also use the word "myriad" which I havn't heard since I took the SATs in high school.

Anyways, if you like Silk Dome tweeters, then why not get one of the best domes on the market:

SS Revelator D2905/9900

A kit is sold at for an MTM floorstanding with ScanSpeak Revelator series for $1,800.

If you like warm and natural sounding with soft domes, then I highly suggest GR-Research AV series. They are significantly cheaper for the kits at like $320.

Yousaf

Second Unit
Howard:

I would just quickly like to remind you that the GR-Researches, though offered as a kit, can be ordered fully assembled.

MarkO

Second Unit
For Jazz and ESPECIALLY female vocalist id look into Sonus Faber. Concerto, Concertino, backed by a REL or ACI Sub. I prefer the REL only because of its flexibility in how it can be connected to a system.

Steve-sas

Agent
Try to find and listen to the Polk LSi9s. They are an excellent speaker that can be had for less than $900. The first time I heard them I thought they were mated with a sub, but they weren't. I have also heard them with a REL sub and they sound even better. I also like the Vienna Acoustics Haydns (a beautifully made speaker).

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Anytime one is about to pay 2K for a pair of louspeaker the name Magnepan should come to mind:

MG 1.6 QR around $1695

A great speaker IMO

Frantz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks