What's new

speaker stands (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
I have Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 bookshelf speakers.

Dimensions (HWD) 36.4 x 21.3 x 25.8 mm (14.3 x 8.4 x 10.2 in)
Weight 7 kg (15 lb) each

What speaker stands would you recommend?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is your budget?

I have the high mass PE stands and they are great. The top plate is larger than your speakers though, so the edges of the plate will stick out from the speaker a little bit like mine (doesn't bother me).

Keep an eye out for them as they go on sale from time to time - as low as $75/pr. I paid $89 for mine.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Just checked AudioAdvisor again. The recommended speaker stands for your Diamond 8.2 is Target FS series. Only $80.

PE's high mass stand fits my B&W 602s perfectly. Those are massive book shelf speakers.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know, that energy stand looks flimsy. Adjustable = multi-parts = vibration = no good, IMO.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
What do you guys think of Sanus speaker stands?

They're typically around $50 at racksandstands.com

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Light weight wooden speaker stands? Wouldn't waste money on them if you're serious about getting speaker stands.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Rob,

why's that? Is it a durability issue, or a performance issue? I thought the threat of resonance/vibration would be much lower for the kind of small light speakers I have (Mordaunt Short MS-05) which I use mainly for mids and highs since my receiver already sends all signal under 100 Hz to my sub.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Sathyan,

How do you like the Diamond 8.2s? I'm considering those too, mainly for budget reasons. Have heard some people say they are kind of muddy though. Do you have them biwired?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For ~$60, the PE medium mass stands (240-742) are FAR better than the Sanus wood stands. I bought 3 pairs when they were on sale for $48. Gave one to my g/f, brother and a buddy who's system I am putting together. The don't look as nice as the high mass stands, but they are good stands.

Sathyan

Second Unit

eddieZEN

I have been very pleased with the Diamonds. They are biwired with Cat5 Plenum. I also have the Diamond Centre. They sound tight with solid state especially when given a firm kick (Roksan Kandy amp) but even well above their price with my mass-market receiver. They are muddy when driven by tubes (Jolida 302 push-pull).
They image very well (3D) and get down to about 45 in fundamentals (trombone).

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Sathyan,

So you're OK with their highs and mids? A friend of mine has the Anniversary Diamonds (7.2?) with a Pioneer 514 biwired and their thumpiness dismayed me, but I'm hoping the 8 series are better. I guess I'm just afraid of finding it to be another all-bass-but-little-else kind of budget speaker like the Polk R20s which I had to banish to my bedroom. I have a sub too so I'd gladly sacrifice strong bass in my mains in exchange for better (more detailed) mids and highs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Link doesn't work. I don't think you can link to specific items on AC4L, something about how their site is done. Which ones are they?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Oops, sorry about that:

STANDESIGN BB75 16" SPEAKER STANDS PAIR ($48 shipped)

Here are the cheapest ones, probably comparable to the Sanus ones:

TECHCRAFT PS16 16" SPEAKER STANDS, PAIR ($30 shipped)

Keep in mind that my mains are just tiny little Mordaunt Short MS05s, 10 x 7 x 7 maybe 8-10lbs and my receiver sends all bass under 100Hz to the sub---so I'd think the risk of vibration would be extremely low.

I'm thinking try them on stands and see how much of a difference it'll make, so that maybe I can put off buying tower speakers for a while.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
16" stands are pretty short. Aren't the MS05s bookshelf speakers? If they are shorter than 2', they will be fairly low.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
> 16" stands are pretty short. Aren't the MS05s bookshelf speakers? If they are shorter than 2', they will be fairly low.

Yeah, but the stands will go on top of my entertainment stand which is already 16" high so the total height will be around 32".

Dong Rodriguez

Auditioning
Hi guys!
What can you say about solid concrete speaker stand? I understand that concrete is relatively dead to resonance. Is this kind of stand best for speakers?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks