What's new

Speaker Setup in Weird Room - Please Help (1 Viewer)

nickfalco

Auditioning
Real Name
nick falco
I bought a home with a really weird living room setup and i have no idea on how to setup the speakers for a 5.1 and or 7.1 setup. I am in the process of getting new speakers and i was looking to mount the back speakers in the ceiling. The front speakers i have currently on each side of the TV and they are floor speakers. i need suggestions on placement please. Thanks in advance the attachments are layouts of my room [ATTACHMENT=217]TV Setup-Model2.pdf (11k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Is it possible to movie TV to different wall? I might consider sliding it flat against the wall closest to where you typed living room. Then slide sofa in front of it. use back wall for speakers. Of couse a lot of that is depending on your ability to get speaker wire/cable to those spots. Is this a one story home can you snake wire down from attic? How big is the living room?

nickfalco

Auditioning
Real Name
nick falco
Here are some updated floor plans attached. i can get wire where ever it needs to go. i thought ceiling would be best because i have no space behind the couch and if they were on the wall the sound would be shooting over our heads i think. we really like the configuration and have tried it the other way and didn't like it. eventually we will get rid of the chair and get a sectional that will be L shaped and come around where the chair is. please keep that in mind for the purposes of this arrangement see the updated dimensions with some things i neglected to add in the original drawing. Thanks for your help [ATTACHMENT=218]TV Setup-Model2.pdf (14k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Nick,

Here's a handy speaker placement guide from Dolby. You can select 5.1 or 7.1 to see how the speakers should be placed relative to the primary seating position.

As you can see from the guide, the TV placement and furniture arrangement you've selected are not very conducive to either a 5.1 setup or a 7.1 setup.

With the TV where it is, I'm not even sure how you can place a left front speaker and not have it blocking the foyer.

Ben's suggestion was a good one. Placement of the TV on the left most wall will provide you with much more room to make a decent front soundstage, you would have decent locations for 5.1 surround speakers (they should be to the sides of the listening position). 7.1 for that space is most likely overkill, but remember that any 7.1 receiver can be set up to run as 5.1.

Not sure what to tell you if you're adamant about keeping the room layout as is. If quality of surround sound is important, then you need to consider rearranging the room. If furniture placement and TV location is the priority, then ditch surround sound and maybe even resort to a simple sound bar that will improve the audio compared to the TVs built-in speakers, and won't require any more room than the TV itself.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Nick after looking at exact measurements and reading Jason's post, you need to decide what is more important tv and furniture set up or sound. Then you can work on speaker setup. My idea to move tv would allow you to get a larger screen down the road if desired. You could put side surrounds on the wall b/t couch and door on right and the wall b/t foyer and kitchen (assuming you can snake those wires through the wall) and then place rear surrounds behind dining table. I feel this setup would allow for better tv and listening pleasure especially if you are planning on a sectional later on. Again if tv and furniture placement is more important, I think setting up true 5.1 may be a bit more difficult. Just my 2cents. Hope this helps. Post some pics when you finalize you plan. I am interested in how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks