What's new

Speaker setup help (1 Viewer)

marcusopus

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Takenaga
We just bought a new home and it was pre-wired for surround sound. I had no problems hooking up the center channel and surround sound speakers, but I'm having difficulty setting up the sub. I have a Onkyo TX-SR504 amplifer with a lone RCA pre-out for the sub. I have a Speakercraft BassX 10 that has it's own amplifier and RCA inputs. Problem here is that the wires in-between are speaker wires with four different colors. There are actually two different sets of wires, one with 4 wires and one with 2. I know it's probably easy but I'm a bit befuddled. How do I get convert the four speaker wires to RCA plugs to connect the amp and the sub? Are their adapters for that? Thanks in advance.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The optimal method is to pull RG-59 or RG-6 cable to use as a sub cable. Option 2 is to get a passive sub and use an amp near your receiver. The last and probably worst option is to solder RCA connectors on the existing wire. There is a very good chance you will pick up a lot of interference. On the other hand, it is the lest expensive of the options and may be worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks