What's new

Speaker set-up...size or crossover setting?? (1 Viewer)

Leroy

Second Unit
Since I've been trying out some newer recievers I'm wondering how the speaker size and selectable sub crossover points for the sub work. My old HK AVR300 only had speaker size settings. No distance, room size etc. settings.

If you set speakers size to small, doesn't that pretty much dictate the frequencies that will be sent to the sub? Couldn't I set my speakers to large and then set my sub crossover point to just above the lower end of my speakers?

Do distance and room sizes have anyting to do with these settings, or are they more for seyting proper delay?

These are the speakers I'm using, currently with an Onkyo TX-LR552 digital reciever which has distance, size and sub crossover settings:

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/downlo...inal%20web.pdf

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Setting size does the same in both cases, except with the previous one, your x-over was fixed at one point. The Micras need to be set to small and crossed over fairly high, at least 100 to 120Hz.

By setting them to large, all of the bass they are missing will also be missing from the presentation, since it is basically "lost" because those speakers cannot reproduce a full range signal. That bass is redirected to the sub when you set the speakers to small, so no, it is not the same thing.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is hard to say how your AVR's bass management works...

Some AVR's will only send LFE to the sub if your mains are set large. Some allow for a lot of factors to be added in for what the sub actually gets.

Just not sure, just when I think I have seen all bass management possibilities, I run into a new one from various newer AVR's and Pre/Pro's....

Leroy

Second Unit
That's what I found so confusing. I have mine set to small and my crossver point for the sub set to 100hz just as John G. had suggested. But I just got to wondering how all these setting worked. The manuals do little to shed light on how the settings affect each other. Heck, throw in the built in crossovers in my speakers and who knows what the heck is happening!!?? :eek:

In the span of a couple of weeks I've jumped from CRT RPTV, DD 5.1, and full size speakers to LCD RPTV, Digital 6.1 reciever, and sub/sats....I hate this hobby!!! :D

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Leroy how are you liking your LR552, in comparison with your old HK, especially when it comes to 2-channel music listening?

Leroy

Second Unit
Kean,

As much as I have love my HK and the ones before it, there really is no contest as far as home theater use. Keep in mind that my HK is 5 years old and the Onkyo is using all the latest tech. As far as music, I haven't had a chance to do any real evaluation other than listening to Sarah McLachlan's Mirrorball DVD stereo track. It sounded quite nice, but I'll be trying some of my CD's and LP's this weekend to get a better idea. My listening is about 70/30 in favor of HT, so I am pretty satisfied right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks