Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BillBR, Sep 4, 2009.

1. BillBR

BillBR Stunt Coordinator

Hey folks,

Just throwing out a general question...anybody got a recommendation for a good pair of speakers on the cheap side? I'm using a 22'' Samsung HDTV and a PS3 with HDMI connection. The TV speakers are really good for such a unit but a little low on the volume, especially when playing DTS and HD sound on BD's. So I'm not really looking for anything fancy, just something decent that will give me a little fuller sound.

Thanks

2. MaxL

MaxL Supporting Actor

what are you pluggin the speakers into?

3. BillBR

BillBR Stunt Coordinator

Uh...I would assume the television. In all honesty I don't know how running HDMI plus speakers works, but I do know the PS3's new software update included an option to output to multiple audio sources...

But if using a set of speakers with an HDMI connection sounds undo-able to you, please let me know :)

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Unless you use something like computer speakers which are powered, you can't just connect ordinary speakers to a TV, you need an amplifier to drive them.

How much money do you have to spend on this project? At the low end you can just get a soundbar type solution like a Sony CT100 (~$300). Less than that you should hunt around for a used receiver + speakers.