Speaker Positioning?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Pete Bishop, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Pete Bishop

Pete Bishop Agent

What is the best way to position my two fronts? I see a lot of diagrams where the fronts are positioned facing forward on each side of the t.v.. I was thinking about putting my fronts in the corner and facing them diagnal towards the sweet spot. Does anyone know if I lose a lot of sound quality positioning my fronts that way?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    For best imaging, the fronts should be about as far apart as they are from the sweet spot.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

I use the equilateral triangle for my setup. the sweet spot and the 2 fronts are all equidistant from each other.
    or how wayne said it

If you think they might sound better in the corners, I say try it out. without knowing how the room is laid out, its hard to give definates. your speakers may sound better in the corners than next to your tv. youll just have to try it out. also, to help with reflections and unwanted phase issues, you might want to look at room treaments and sound absorbtion panels.

5. Philip>L

Philip>L Stunt Coordinator

The best thing about speaker positioning is that it costs no money at all to try as many different combinations as you want.

As others have said, start with an equilateral triangle... then play with the toe of the speaker. Once you've got the toe how you like it, try moving the speakers away from each other a bit, then towards each other. At each point adjust the toe a bit. Eventually you'll find what's best.

Move speakers, listen, repeat.

The most important thing: trust your ears. If it sounds good, it is.