What's new

Speaker placement for my home theater/bedroom (1 Viewer)

mpcamill

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello everyone!

Since I'm in college and still live with my parents my bedroom doubles as my home theater room. I absolutely love everything about home theaters, but the rest of the fam doesn't really care. So this is what I have to work with...

gliffy_did = "1536870"; embedGliffy();

Ok I have 5.1ch and I'm looking for some input on where I should put the front left and right speakers and the two surround speakers. The center channel sits ontop of my tv stand.

Moving the stuff in my room around isn't an option because of windows and other stuff I didn't include in the diagram. Just incase anyone is wondering the black square next to the sub is a pilar that goes all the way up my wall.

Look forward to your suggestions!
-Mike

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
I would say that you should be able set up in a standard placement for 5.1 and should be ok. The only concerns I have is, one, the area of your theater will be in a "square" with on side missing. So I am not sure how your right channel will sound since there is no wall to reflect sound. If you can hang a curtain down the middle of the room you could create a surface to reflect the sound as well as make it more of a mini dedicated theater. If you can't hang a curtain try to mount right side speakers so that they point in to the viewing area. Second thing is, where the couch is up against the wall doesn't make for good rear channel sound. I have made this mistake before, it makes rear channels into side channels and ruins the surround effect. If possible I would move the couch up closer to the screen about 2 or 3 feet and mount the rear speakers to the wall on each side of the couch. I would also spread those rear channels out pretty wide. Here is your diagram that I modified, I am not a pro but those are things I would do if it it were my theater. Hope this helps.
Attachment 1162

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator

This is exactly what I would do if the space were mine. I might not go with the curtain (although it is a good idea) but I would definitely move your couch away from the wall as stated in the above post. I would venture a guess this will benefit you more than adding the curtain in my opinion. Also make sure that your center channel speaker is "aimed" at your listening position for the best result.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks