What's new

Speaker Package vs Individual Speakers for HT (1 Viewer)

nigel_jim

Auditioning
Continuing from an earlier thread:

I am a big fan of the Wharfdale 8.1 and Mission 7 Series speakers (I am an entry level buyer at this time), and would love to have them as a part of my HT.

I am thinking of the Marantz 4100 as a DVD/CD player coupled with the Marantz SR4200 Receiver - so a capable music player - my question is:

--> am i better to get a HT speaker package (which I believe will not compliment my music discs) or can I have Wharfdale 8.1 speakers, for example, as my front and rear speakers and then buy a separate centre speaker and woofer? Will this impact the quality of the movie soud tracks? I suspect my HT will be used for 60-40 music-movies?

I hope that all made sense.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are these Mission speakers bookshelf/monitor style? If so, buy a third for the center.

Here is the issue: more and more movies are sending dialog to the L/R speakers as the actors move to the edges of the screen. There are also a lot of special effects that swirl around your speakers. You want a nearly identical center speaker for the L/R so the sound does not change as they transistion.

If not a matched set, you want the center speaker to have the same type/size tweeter as the L/R to get close.

(Some people swear by have 3 identical front speakers)

The sub: you dont need to worry about mixing different brands of subs with different speakers. There is not a tone-match issue here.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
You want a nearly identical center speaker for the L/R so the sound does not change as they transistion.
as usual, i agree with bob! :)
timbre matching is important, otherwise, you'll have different sound characteristics coming from each speaker.
so that harley motorcycle in the left speaker will suddenly sound like a moped when it gets to the center speaker.
not a good thing...
most speaker companies now manufacture speaker "packages"...whereby all the speakers are timbre-matched. whether it's sold as a package, or piece by piece, you're essentially going to get the same quality and performance.

nigel_jim

Auditioning
Thanks guys.

I think rather than buy a "package", I am going to buy three front speakers (of the same type - possible B&W DM303's) and then look for some reasonable, but smaller rear speakers.

I will add a woofer in a few months. This way I know that my music will sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread