What's new

Speaker jacks in the floor? (1 Viewer)

Pam Scott

Auditioning
Hi All,

My husband and I are building a house and the home theater setup is one of my jobs. I've searched the forum but can't find this talked about anywhere. I have no wall at the back of the HT area and so I'm looking for a solution for speaker jacks for the rear speakers. Does anyone know of an in-floor speaker jack similar to what you see with electrical outlets? Any other suggestions (I don't want to mount them at the ceiling).

Thanks!
Pam

MikeWh

Second Unit
Pam,

Here is a link with a list of 12 companies selling "floor boxes," a.k.a. "floor pockets." The links are under "PSW Quick Links; Cable & Floor Boxes.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/c...ob/stage.shtml

I assume then, that you are thinking of placing the speakers on stands. My alternate suggestions would be running the wires under the baseboards until they are close, then running them on top of the flooring (for short, discrete runs) or under the flooring (for longer, less discrete runs and assuming you're talking about carpet). Also, you could just run the wires under the house and up through a hole in the subflooring under the stands (not the prettiest, but works, especially with carpet).

Common under-carpet solutions: You can use flat speaker wire (ribbon-style) that lies completely flat. I am not sure how people on HTF feel about its performance-- might want to search. For zipcord-style wire, some people suggest running the wire in a slit in the foam padding, before the carpet is laid, so that bumps are less noticeable.

Ron Krebs

Auditioning
Pam,

When you are in the Pre-wire phase of your home, you can run the wires to where you want them, then install these when you are trimming out.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/saco5w.html

They are installed on regular Electrical Gang boxes, and I use them regularly. They can be installed anywhere you like and look really clean.

Ron

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pam,

Standard home theater wall plates on the floor with banana plugs sticking out will break if they get stepped on, plus they will be a trip hazard.

If your logistics mean you’re really stuck with something in the floor, the floor boxes that Mike mentioned are the way to fly. They are flush with the floor, and the connections are made below the surface. Not the best picture, but here’s what they look like:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pam Scott

Auditioning
Thanks to all who responded. Your responses have been very helpful. Now that I know the term is 'floor pocket' I should be able to find more information.

Thanks again!
Pam

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The upper boxes are made by Horizon, the lower by Ace Backstage. There are numerous other brands, too. Your best bet for finding these is pro audio outlets.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks