What's new

Speaker Floats, any experience and do they work? (1 Viewer)

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
That is a ridiculous s/h charge for that. I would try cutting some racquetballs in half as an experiment first.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I got the Subdude for my SW900, and it did cut down on the wall vibrations a bit. But that means I can just turn it up more :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can get the original Sorbothane pads for like $5-6 ea. You only need 3 per speaker, depending on the weight. Is this for a sub, tower, bookshelf?

If the problem is that the wall resonates at a particular frequency, isolating the speaker from the floor won't stop the wall from resonating.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link.
I'll give it a shot for that price.

My front L/R floorstanding is set at 80 Hz and the wall that seems to vibrate is the one directly behind the fronts. My sub is about in between (four feet) away from the left front and left surround.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Where did you purchase the Sorbothane?
I can't seem to find the link to purchase the product.

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Go to the home page (upper right), select distributors, though they only seem to list the big distributors. I know there is at least one hi-fi audio shop up in SF that carries them (but I can remember the name!!!). Berg and McMaster should be easy to find local resellers for too. One in the South Bay is Motion Industries.

Magnolia HiFi also carries something similar, though I think they were a bit more expensive.

You might even just try a few small sheets of Dynamat from a local car audio place.

Spikes will cost you about the same ($19/set of 4 + shipping), will do the same thing, and can be found here. If you're interested, I have two sets of these that I'm not using.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,

I'll swing by Magnolia (I believe there is one in Palo Alto).

About the Subdude posted by Mike Duke, what is the difference between the Auralex Subdude and the Gamma? The description is exactly the same. For looks purposes, the Gamma won't irritate the wife but if the Subdude is more functional to help reduce my problem, I'll take the Subdude.

Also, the best price I found for the Subdude is $49 shipped. Cheaper elsewhere?

TIA.

Turning down my sub is something I will not do and I am not looking forward to adding an isolated wall. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks