What's new

Speaker configuration suggestions - Denon AVR2803 with Polk Su (1 Viewer)

srichardson71

Auditioning
Real Name
John Connah
I am looking for expert suggestions on the best way to connect/configure my new set of Polk speakers to my Denon AVR-2803

Current hardware:

Denon AVR-2803 with optical signal coming from Pana plasma ST50 since AVR model has no HDMI)

Polk Speakers:

Rear Surround Speakers – F/Xi A4
Front Surround - Bookshelf speakers – RTiA1
Center Speaker – CSiA4
Subwoofer – PSW111
In-Ceiling – RC80i (2 pair)

I'm just not sure of the best way to connect everything. I would consider myself a novice/wannabe audiophile! I attached an image of the back of the AVR-2803 for reference.

thanks in advance!

Scott

http://www.hifidatabase.com/Detailed/Denon_AVR-2803_308.php

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Connect with speaker wire. The sub with a shielded coax(composite, digital coax and shielded subwoofer are all the same cable).

Unless you have some weird thing in your room that prevents speaker wire.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Unless you give an idea of why you are confused(like are the in-ceiling not where they should be for surround?)...we have no idea what to tell you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Do you have any other source players? (DVD, BluRay, etc)

Chances are your tv is only sending a stereo signal to the 2803 via the optical output. If you have a cable/satellite box then connect it with an optical connection straight to the 2803. If you have a box be sure to set it's audio output in the audio setup menu to Dolby Digital.

You need to setup the 2803 if you haven't already done so. Speaker distances, volumes, sizes, crossover settings, etc.

I'm entrigued with the Polk RTiA speakers. I used to have the previous RTi's which were very bright to my ears. I beleive the new RTiA's were toned down a bit and if I were in the market for new they would be on my short list. I'm not as enthusiastic about the subwoofer. It's listed as only going down to 38hz which isn't all that deep. If it's working for you then that's great but something in the 23-25hz (Polk 505, BIC F-12, etc) range would be a significant improvement.

And good luck on becoming an audiophile. I've spent 10+ years and countless amounts of money trying to become one and I'm no closer than when I started :wacko: . But it's been a fun journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks