What's new

Speaker calibration (1 Viewer)

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
I want to use my RatShack device to calibrate my speakers but I'm not sure I can adjust my speaker levels. I have a Yammy 995. It won't allow me to adjust the MAINS. Only the surrounds and sub. Any suggestions?

Sebastian

Second Unit
Level what you can adjust to your mains.
What?
I mean, adjust what you can adjust to the same output level of your mains.:)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
No, not balance control. With Yamaha receivers, the mains can't be adjusted. What you have to do is use a test disc and the SPL meter to set your reference level. When the front left tone is played, just raise the volume control till you reach 75dB(85 w/avia). Remember this level as this will be your "Reference" level. Now that you ave the "reference" adjust your center and surrounds to register 75dB(85w/avia) at this specific volume level. Use this volume level to listen at reference level. It may be -10, it may be -20, or it may even be 00.

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
What I meant was there is no individual adjustment for the mains (at least not on the 5440). If after you reach 75 or 80 DB your R & L are not equal the balance control must be used.

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, that makes sense but how can I get the right speaker to match the other speakers? I guess I would then have to use the balance control knob which I hate doing but I don't know how else to calibrate it. I have the AVIA disc. When you say reference level isn't that TOO loud? Does everyone listen at this level? If I listen to it at a lower level does it become unbalanced? How do I calibrate the sub?
Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for the input guys!

Sebastian

Second Unit
This is what I would do. First get your left front and right front level with each other using the balance control while playing the test tones either at 75dB(VE) or 85dB(Avia). once the SPL meter is reading 75dB or 85dB using the volume control, don't mess with the volume again while calibrating the other speakers. This is your ref level. Once those two speakers are calibrated to each other, then calibrate the rest of the speakers using only their individual controls.

I don't think anyone with half way descent hearing listens to movies at ref level, but that is always up for debate. Listen to a level that you like. Ref level is just a standard so to speak.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I have the RX-V995 also, and the process that Sebastian wrote is correct.
So, the following Volume Control REFERENCE Mark is from my SVS 25-31PCi review (last thread) which includes how to REF Calibrate your sub (SW, DD LFE & DTS LFE controls) - although I'm using Video Essentials & it's dedicated LFE Test Tone (w/JBL S26 all-around & S-Center):
·VOLUME KNOB = -16* / Sound & Vision @ 85 dB
*Yamaha uses dB Scale increments with their Volume Control Knob
-20 dB = 11 o'clock position
-16 dB = 12 o'clock position
-12 dB = 1 o'clock position

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
Phil, my Yammy 995 does not show me the decibal level when turning the knob. It basically just states 'Volume Up' or 'Volume Down' which I absolutely hate! Is there a button setting or something I'm missing?

Still confused on how to calibrate my sub. I don't have an SVS yet (next month). I currently just use an energy 8" active subwoofer.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Still confused on how to calibrate my sub.
Go my VE Calibration webpage and scroll down to ... -UPDATED 7/19/02 - NEW SVS 25-31PCi.
Basically, I first set the RX-V995 "SW" Level by 'ear' while I play my Music Jazz CD's (DD-5.1 & DTS 5.1 Levels set @ default "0") - explained @ my webpage linked above.
Then I ran Video Essentials, and completed my DD-5.1 LFE REF Calibrations.
All processes on my webpage would be the same for any powered subwoofer.
Phil

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Sounds like you got what you were looking for. I am assuming that the front left and right are the same brand/model and the same distance from the listening possition. Therefore, they should register the same levels with the meter if your receiver is working properly. Sometimes room acoustics can have an affect on this if one is close to the wall and the other is out in the open, but for the most part, they will bee too close to worry about.

So, Assume the left=right, don't worry about the balance control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks