What's new

Speaker balance and Component 2 s video (1 Viewer)

CharLee

Auditioning
Hi, I am new here as I just brought a new Pioneer 711S A/V receiver and Onkyo SKF101 series HT speakers.

I have hook everything up except for the DVD as I am still waiting for it to be deliver and I come up with a few question that need your help.

First of all, it is my front speaker, when I run the test tone, I can hear that the left and right speaker volume is different, even both is set a 0dB. Is this normal or there is something wrong with the speaker? I am sure that the connection is tight and I am running Audio Quest speaker cable.

Secondly, do speaker need to burn in first before it sound good? Can I biwired my speaker with another brand of cable with the jumper plate in place and expect some improvement?

Also, the receiver is able to take in component but my TV is able to receive s video only. Can I connect the DVD to receiver with component and from receiver to TV with s video? I do not expect the quality to be improve but just want to save from upgrading cable in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Welcome to HTF...

In running a 5.1 system perhaps including a subwoofer, it is best to calibrate the speakers so their levels balance. Using receiver test tones is fine. Many others buy a DVD-based test disk that offers both audio and video monitor calibrations. AVIA and Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-up are two popular test disks.

At the same time, accuracy requires something better than our ears -- most use the Sound Pressure Level meter sold everywhere by Radio Shack. Here is a link to the SVS website on using the meter.

To answer your first question, usually the Left Main speaker output is raised by turning the receiver's Master Volume until reaching a 75dB sound level. Then the Right Main is matched to this level. Setting both to 0 does not make them equal, since room characteristics may throw it off.

Second, speakers will break in after about 40 hours, as the moving cone becomes less stiff. That's about it.

Bi-wiring may sound different to you, or you may not hear any difference. I'd say experiment by leaving the metal plates attached for a month. Then remove it for the bi-wires and listen for another month. It may be subtle. You will get the best speaker sounds by placing them in your room where they sound best to you than by using special wires, in my opinion.

Lastly, your receiver cannot convert video signals from one type of cable to another. So if the television monitor only accepts S-Video, then you mus use S-Video from the DVD player by (1) sending it directly to the tv input or (2) sending it to the receiver then using another S-Video from Monitor Out to the TV. Both methods work the same here. It will be more convenient to pass it thru the receiver since the tv can be left on one video mode and the source switching done on the receiver.

Please look atop the Basics Area Forum for Beginners Primer and FAQ for a list of subjects written by HTF members.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Char. Welcome to HTF! :)

I echo everything Bill said, and I'd like to add a bit about the speakers producing a different volume.

A big factor is where the speaker is pointing.

Speakers throw a sound field like the beam from a D cell flashlight: Very intense in the center with a sudden drop-off. A few degree angle change in a speaker can result is a large volume drop across the room.

Get a laser pen, the longer the better. Roll it on a table-top with the beam on and watch the spot of light on the wall. If the spot moves back and forth without making circles, the beam is aligned with the pen body.

Take the pen and hold it against the side of your speaker and fire the beam to see where the speaker is pointing. Repeat for the other speaker.

I suspect you may have one speaker pointing directly at the listening position, and the other is a bit off.

Oh, check your balance knob on the receiver. Perhaps you nudged it a bit or the kids played with it. :)

Hope this helps.

CharLee

Auditioning
Thanks for your advise. What I am going to do when I get back from work is to bring both of the speaker together side by side and run the test tone again. If the volume is different then the speakers is faulty or need burn in? I am sure there is no L/R balance control, just volume for each speaker, which is now set to 0.

And Bill, thanks for the pointing the link out, I miss that out. I will do some reading later. And sadly to sad, I am just running 5.0 because of budget. I was thinking of getting the Sony DDW840 but I don't know how, I just brought the Pioneer at US$300 extra. Worth it? Now need to save up to get a subwoofer. The shop is running a promotion on a JBL 10" sub.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
In the end, you want the front spekers to sound balanced while you are seated in front of them. It won't do much good (except to see if they WORK) to place them side by side. Don't worry about breaking in; it has no bearing on the sound level here.

After your test, just aim them again at your chair to position until you get that phantom center that sounds like a real center speaker in the middle.

Until you get a subwoofer, keep your receiver speaker set-up adjusted through the remote for MAINS LARGE and SWFR-- None.

This sends the full bass and movie LFE signals to the fronts.

bill

CharLee

Auditioning
Hi all,

Did the test yesterday by putting 2 speaker together and swap the Left with the right and both speaker are at the same volume.

I think it must be the windows above the speaker on the right.

Bill, if I can't get the speaker to the same volume by positing it. Can I just increase the volume on the right speaker? I have try increasing the volume on the right speaker but when I stand very near to each of the speaker, I can hear the bass of the right speaker is lower compare to the left.

CharLee

Auditioning
I have read the manual of the DVD player that I will be getting and found that it do not even come with Optical and Component output.

Stupid Malaysia made product selling at the price of the entry level JVC player but JVC have Optical and Component!!!

I think that is why I am getting it for free. They can't sell the product.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
yes, use the receiver's internal set-up to raise the level of the right speaker as much as you need.

Eventually, you need that $35US RadioShack Sound Pressure Level meter to get the speaker balance exactly balanaced..

bill

CharLee

Auditioning
Thanks Bill, I maybe getting the SPL meter later. Currently is looking at the Sub. Either the Yamaha or JBL. Can't afford to get any high end here.

HT is expensive in Malaysia. For example, Monster XP cable. It cost US$4.50 per feet (US$450 for 100 feet).

Too bad the online shop in US do not deliver to Malaysia. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks