What's new

speaker angling wedge? (1 Viewer)

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone make a wedge to place under a speaker to angle it down torward the listener if it were placed on top of a tv?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
They're placed behind the center speaker. In most installations, you won't even see them.
A word of caution: Especially if you tend to play things LOUD and have a good solid sub, make sure there's something bracing the center channel so that it doesn't slide forward. Depending on the precise contours of the speaker bottom and the monitor top, tilting the speaker downward may leave it vulnerable to a gradual slide forward. One day during a particularly loud passage, it could simply slide off the monitor. It happened to me, and it wasn't pretty.
M.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I also use two rubber doorstops and do pay attention to what Michaels says about bracing the front of the speaker.

Patrick

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Jason:

I'm planning on building a simple DIY center channel speaker stand. Wood (probably maple) base with rubber doorstop angles (in back) and 2 small L brackets (in front).

Wood base will equal width of my set, my center is heavy and I don't want the top of my RPTV to "sag" over time. The L brackets will prevent the speaker from sliding of the set.

Rich B.

JerryE

Agent
I also use the rubber door stop method, along with a couple of rubber furniture cups to separate the center speaker from the TV cabinet.
However, if you want to get fancy (and likely spend quite a bit more than $3.00) then I just stumbled upon this while looking for audio racks:
http://212.87.82.118/html/ccb1.htm

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I also use rubber doorstops. If you want something a little fancier than the typical hard brown doorstops that you're likely to find at Wal-Mart, check out Office Max. I picked up a couple black ones there and they are a very soft, grippy rubber which should help keep the speaker from sliding off. They also have some other "designer" colors like yellow, gray, neon orange and pink, etc.

I user clear door stops on the back, and furniture shims near the front...have a look...
http://www.geocities.com/jhoetzl/hat...nnelwedges.htm
(And now I have to find black ones...arrghhh, who posted that!)
Oh, and if you don't have one, while at Walmart or wherever you buy these, see if you can get a cheap laser pointer...they work wonders for aligning speakers to a listening position...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks