What's new

Speaker advice (1 Viewer)

First post, looking for advice.
I have just purchased a Panny-Rp91 and a Yamaha RX-V2200. I am beginning the remodel on my theater room. Room is 12x30.
Current speakers: Bose 501's & BoseAM5 & Polk sub.
I want to replace all the speakers and relegate the Bose to the living room. Hey, theyr'e paid for, can't throw them away.
Finally the question:
Looking to spend about 2-3k on speakers all around (sub included). I want something much better than the Bose for this room. I have been considering the Vandersteen Home theater package but, it is 3500.00 before the rear center.
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/van...me_theater.htm
Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Thanks Bob,

Any particular ones?

Also, I am not saying I have to spend 2-3k, just that is the range I figure to come in at. If I can do it for less, that is great.

Thanks again

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
You could try one of their bipolar systems like (4) bp2006TL's, (1) clr2300 + external sub...that would be a killer setup. Also (5) PowerMonitor's all around + external sub should also be a killer setup! The first setup is bipolar (though the center channel is direct radiating), and the second setup is direct radiating. Keep in mind that you should be able to get some money off list price on those DT's.

But one thing I generally recommend is to not compromise with your main channel speakers, especially if you use the system for music and movies...so you might want to buy the "best" main speakers that you can afford when you are looking at these surround packages. Good luck!

PaulCK

Auditioning
Try axiomaudio.com. Great speakers for the price and they always get great reviews.

Cool, now we are getting rolling.

I will check out any and all suggestions. For this room it is about 25% music 75% movies. Of course my kids are always playing video games down there. I did not know that video games had such varied soundtracks. Also, the car crashes in Gotham Racing are great really loud!

Keep those suggestions coming...

Just checked out the DT website quickly (I'm taking a break from tearing out walls in the HT).

Very impressive so far. What do you think of the Pro Tower 400 and the ProCinema 400 package using the Pro monitor 200's as rears. Would I use another procenter C2 for the rear center?

Now I will go check out AxiomAudio

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Powered DTs do tend to get the testosterone flowing, but most people agree that you'll get better all-around sound for your money by going with unpowered mains. Perhaps a speaker package such as the Swan Divas (unbeatable bargain on a couple of different full-setup combos) and an SVS subwoofer.

If you're not going to buy a subwoofer--or don't have room for one--then the powered DTs are probably the way to go.

--Steve

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
hi mike dose your yamaha have front effects speaker outs i head that bose makes a good effect speaker only or a compter speaker or put in the thrash can, sorry what polk sub you have, thank you, joe

Wow, I can't leave for a minute.

Looks like I have some serious research and listening to do. Thanks again to all that have responded with suggestions. Of course now I want to buy like 50 different speakers.

I do not think the Yamaha has the front effect out feature. It and the Panasonic are still in unopened boxes, as I am tearing apart and rebuilding the HT room. Any advice on sound fabrics?

Oh man, you had to go and beat up on the Bose! That's alright, thats why I am getting new ones. I will just keep them up in the living room on my little tv. They are all over 10 years old and still work fine. I bought them when I was stationed in Korea, so they have some sentimental value or thats what I keep telling myself.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
DTs do tend to get the testosterone flowing, but most people agree that you'll get better all-around sound for your money by going with a speaker package such as the Swan Divas (unbeatable bargain on a couple of different full-setup combos) and an SVS subwoofer.
You do realize Def Tech makes more than just powered towers, don't you Steve?

I would also suggest looking at M&Ks line. That's what I have. I auditioned Def Tech, and thought their speakers were absolutely spine tingling. Amazing speakers. But I preferred the M&K S-5000THX system on movies, which is what I was buying for. But the Def Techs are amazing.

Howdy,
Seems like if you were going to go with the Vandersteens you would want the 2 CEs as
mains, perhaps make up the difference in cost by buying an SVS sub. I auditioned the 2 CEs because of all the awards and great reviews but ended going with two way speakers (Sonus Faber Concertos) and an SVS sub. I really feel like 5 identical or matched two ways and a sub are the way to go, using floor standers is not the best use of space and cash if you are using the sub anyhow.
Why not start with an SVS powered cylinder.
Then choose 5 two way speakers. By listening experience I recommend the B&W NT two way speakers, smallest of the NT series as mains, then match with other BW for center and surrounds. Sorry, I don't know model numbers by heart.
Have you looked at the "what speakers do you have?" thead, pretty fun. I guess I would ask you- what speakers can you audition? It is hard to purchase just by reputation and review.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
If you're not going to buy a subwoofer--or don't have room for one--then the DTs are probably the way to go.
As Terrell already pointed out, DT has many options to choose from...with or without a built in sub. I feel that the built in subs can be very advantageous, even when using an external sub. At least try them out (set up according to my recommendations) with your Yamaha. Good luck!

I went yesterday and "test Drove" both DT's & MK's.
Personally, I favored the DT's. But in respect to the M&K's, I do not believe they were correctly set-up. They were way too close.
I listened to both the Bp2006TL & the Bp2004TL, WOW!
Bob, I will not have room for 4 2006's in my HT. The rear area has a small snack bar area, so the rears will need to go on the walls. What would be your suggestions for the rears & centers (front & rear). I was only listening to music yesterday. Also, who has the best prices on DT. My local guys are pretty proud of their stuff and unwilling to back off of MSRP.
I am going to drive to Seattle today and see what I can listen to next. Finding some of these brands locally is almost impossible.
I have a lot of looking left to do, want to do it right the first time. Thanks again to all of you for the great help and further confusion;)

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Michael, for wall mountable rear speakers you should look at something like bp2x/bpx/bpvx speaker. For a rear center channel, I think you might want one of DT's clr speakers. But still, the PowerMonitors and/or ProMonitors could work well in the rear also...though the PowerMonitors in particular will probably not be so easy to wall mount.

If you get the bp2006TL, then you should probably look at the clr2300/PowerMonitor500 for the center channel and bp2x/bpx/ProMonitor80/ProMonitor100/PowerMonitor500 for the rears. If you get the bp2004TL, then you should probably look at the clr2002/clr2500/PowerMonitor700 for the center channel and bp2x/bpx/ProMonitor100/PowerMonitor500/PowerMonitor700 for the rears.

In your case, I think a setup of (2) bp2004TL's (for the main channels), (1) clr2002 (for the center channel), and (2) bp2x's (for the rear channels) would be a killer setup (and of course, if you end up preferring direct radiators for your rear channels, then the ProMonitors or PowerMonitors would both probably make great choices)! If you are interested in a rear center channel, I would recommend another clr2002. I am not sure how much dealers these days are willing to discount on DT speakers...but if you buy a whole package from them, they should be able to give some money off list. Good luck!

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I was referring to powered DTs when I voiced my opinion regarding value. Shame on me for not saying so explicitly--and I've edited my original post to reflect the oversight.

But I still say that a LOT of what you're paying for when you buy powered towers is two extra amps. If you're already planning to buy an adequate subwoofer, then keep in mind that the money you spend on those two extra amps is--in a dollar-for-dollar comparison of speakers--out of necessity going to mean less money spent on something else, like the drivers.

Bob, if you find this opinion unconstructive simply because you don't agree with it then pbbfft.

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks