What's new

Spartcus: Blood and Sand (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show has really turned into something that is a hell of a ride. It's kind of surprising because I started this show thinking it would remain a light fluff, but the backstory here has gotten really good. The entire plotting within the ludus (sp?) is pretty good stuff.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Yes, Dominus, I am myself again." The look in Spartacus' eyes, with a glint of red in them, scorching!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That was a great moment. The way they slipped in how his mind was telling him something not right about the coach driver being OK.... his presence of mind to have himself tied back down. And now Crixus is back with attention after his victory in the arena. I have to figure out how many episodes left in the season.

A side note: this thing is AWESOME looking in HD. This will be a set I'll buy the day it comes out on Blu.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Also, I loved the way Ashur was double crossing Batiatias's nemesis, I love his character.

ryan-w

Agent
Yes, Ashur's part was pretty cool. The timing they had....It was a good story line as we all obviously had no idea, at least until Ashur went running away that is. I too, liked the hint of red in Spartacus's eye at the end. Very good foreshadowing.

I am curious to see how they get Crixus to wind up befriending Spartacus so they can team up for the escape.....I am hooked at this point. I really liked Varro's character and they did a good job of making he and Spartacus's friendship so close so now he really has nothing keeping him there. I think he will wind up liking that slave Mirra. She's quite attractive as well, so I'm sure that helps.....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, Ashur's part in the conspiracy was some great stuff. I enjoyed everything about that ;) I watched this again today, and what I really noticed the second time was the pain on Crixus' face when he looked up to the box to realize Dominus and the slave girl had both left. Was this a sign they thought he would die? Did they give up on him? You could see that running through his face, great subtext there. That does a lot to change his dynamic with other characters.
I think he's going to learn that Spartacus' wife was a setup, and a few other choice details, as well as his desire to leave.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm in the same boat as Phillip. I caught up via OnDemand, and I did so like a new DVD set binge--two or three episodes a night. Like Phillip, I had absolutely no problems with the early episodes. I am utterly hooked. My head keeps spinning, trying to find my own moral compass amongst all of the plotting and scheming. I find myself hoping Batiatus will prevail (for example, with the plot against Calavius in the most recent episode), even though I know he's an evil bastard and I hate him for killing Sura and for a thousand other injuries. Like Quentin, my lust for Illythia has been completely neutered with her maneuvering Varro to his death. That was the hardest TV character death in a long time, and one I had unfortunately long suspected since I read the DVR description for "Old Wounds" soon after I started watching the show. They mentioned the death of Spartacus's friend, and I knew he had but one! This show certainly throws away good characters with ease, though they do bring in new ones who quickly become interesting by their own lights--I speak, particularly, of the idiot twins.

This is really the first and only premium channel show I've watched. I don't normally care for excessive violence, nudity or language, so here I am enjoying the most egregious example of all three, by Jupiter's cock! I have also never seen Rome or even Gladiator, so this world is largely new to me and I'm fascinated by it--historically accurate or not.

Watching via OnDemand, I was forced to watch it on zoom in SD. "Old Wounds" in HD was a revelation. I now face the letdown of having to actually wait week to week with the rest of you slaves, but I intend to earn my place outside of these walls even though it will now take longer. And, I assume it all comes to an end until next season in two weeks.

I had more to say, but I've forgotten now. At least I've earned my blue stripe when this thread comes up on the list!

ryan-w

Agent
Greg, if you haven't seen Rome yet you should SERIOUSLY do yourself a favor and go get both seasons and watch them.....They were FANTASTIC!!! Seriously, if you are impressed with the visuals in Spartacus, they are nothing compared to what Rome had....Not to mention, the story lines were awesome too.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think they are both very different shows. Rome was a political message show oriented around the leadership of the Roman empire and those who were deeply involved in the political scene.

Spartacus is focused around the underbelly of the Roman Empire, people who made their money and fame through other, not as savory means.
Both shows are very good. But very different. I know a lot of people love one, hate the other.. but I think they tell such drastically different stories you can't compare them.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Do you mean it was a modern political message show wrapped up in Roman cloth, or do you just mean the politics of the period? One thing I appreciate about Spartacus is I can just watch it without being hit over the head with thinly-veiled American politics. If you mean the latter, I see Rome is on Blu-Ray and stars Kevin McKidd, whom I liked in Journeyman. I may take Ryan's advice and check it out. I can at least buy the first episode on iTunes.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
If you watch Rome and don't like it, let us know because I've honestly not met anyone yet who watched it and didn't like it. If you care at all about the deviation from documented (I hesitate to say "true") history, read the Rome threads on this forum while you're watching.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
No, no...it is Roman politics and history. Rome was a great show. Give it a watch.

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Do you mean it was a modern political message show wrapped up in Roman cloth, or do you just mean the politics of the period? One thing I appreciate about Spartacus is I can just watch it without being hit over the head with thinly-veiled American politics. If you mean the latter, I see Rome is on Blu-Ray and stars Kevin McKidd, whom I liked in Journeyman. I may take Ryan's advice and check it out. I can at least buy the first episode on iTunes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, no thinly veiled anything, very accurate in it's own way to the time period, Rome was co-produced with the BBC.

Still, back to Spartacus, I'm really eager as the cast and writers are already talking S2 via twitter..

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is Andy doing better? I hate that his big break is accompanied by illness. It's like the heavens finally opening up only to rain piss and shit upon the house of Batiatus. To put it in the show's terms.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That was awesome piled upon awesome. Everything from Solonius's guts to Spartacus destroying Glaber's guard. Batiatus is one devious bastard. I was glad for the "I always knew" speech. His iron fist will be his downfall.

Was that head the guard who had the burned face? I hope Naevia is not in permanent jeopardy. She is about the only one to love or lust after Crixus who does NOT harbor ill will for Spartacus. She and Pietros were probably the most innocent of all those in the ludus.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
SO much happened in this episode and all of it was awesome.

I love Ashur, he is such an awesome villian, he really got pay back on Crixus.

The show is just steam rolling!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, that episode just about had it all! Brilliant from start to finish - and superbly set up for next week. Looks like Crixus has, on the one hand, found some respect for Spartacus and, on the other, found reason to hate Batiatus. Even ultra-loyal Doctore looks like he'll side with the escape, after hearing the truth about Barca.

Can't wait! :-D

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy cow.. that was a heck of a ride. Some of the best deserved action of any show this week, easy. Damn, Ashur is one hell of a great devious basterd :)

"There is but one Path... We kill them all"
Damn, what a way to end!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks