What's new

Spartcus: Blood and Sand (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i saw the screeners for the first two episodes.

The first episode is hard to get into. It took me three viewings to finish it. By the time it got to the second episode it got is footing and I think that I will keep watching.

As always, ymmv.....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, it definitely has it's own style. TV-MA is a major understatement. This would never make it in the theaters without an NC-17.

But, visually very interesting. Since Friday Nights will be open with Dollhouse gone, I'll give it a chance. (SGU not back for another 2 months)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It's also on Encore onDemand. In HD to boot!

On Comcast, Encore is included in the basic digital package, so you don't need an additional subscription to Starz to watch it. Same goes for all the other Starz original series, like Crash and Party Down.

mike caronia

Second Unit
Wow.
Some of the worst acting I can remember in a long time.
The women are all TMZ-ready, completely plastic Hollywood tramps.
Fight scenes that are bloody as hell.

Not that any of that is a bad thing in mindless entertainment. ;)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

It's also on Encore onDemand. In HD to boot!

On Comcast, Encore is included in the basic digital package, so you don't need an additional subscription to Starz to watch it. Same goes for all the other Starz original series, like Crash and Party Down.
I think only the first episode is on Encore. That's to suck you into ordering Starz. I'd be pleased to be wrong, though. It's visually interesting, like watching a violent video game.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Maybe... the entire season of Crash was on Encore, so it never occurred to me that it was some sort of come on.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Wow.

First of all, I've seen 300. Why do we want to do it over and over?

This show is utterly terrible...

TERRIFICALLY terrible! Seriously, this is MST3000 fodder and I enjoyed it more than I should have. I actually think I'm going to Tivo it and continue to watch as a guilty pleasure. It's like Hercules bad - with all the camp and crappy acting that implies, but it has a ton of nudity, sex, and hyper-violence!

Awesome.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The premiere of Spartacus netted 659K viewers on Starz and another 460K on Encore. While those numbers are tiny, they are a record for Starz. By comparison, the season 2 finale of Crash netted 94K viewers!

I still haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but this definitely justifies the early season 2 renewal (done well before the first episode premiered).

Diallo B

Screenwriter
as you all have seen the first episode sux.

it gets better with the second. but not by much. i think there will be a loyal following to this show because of all of the extra.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I went in thinking I was going to get a "Rome" version of Spartacus, it wasn't like Rome. Once I got my mind set that it was comic/cartoonish in it's violence made it more watchable so I will watch it. I think it could of been so much more though, at least I want to rewatch Rome again.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Steve Armbrust

I think only the first episode is on Encore. That's to suck you into ordering Starz. I'd be pleased to be wrong, though. It's visually interesting, like watching a violent video game.
On Comcast in Portland, the second episode was available OnDemand under Encore. However, it's only available through 1/31. So, if you're interested, check it out soon.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm having a hell of a time getting through episode one. The acting is like something out of a Troma movie. The wife is so awful that the nudity doesn't help.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I made it thru about 1/2 hour of this dreck and then I couldn't tolerate it anymore. The language the acting, everything was sub-par. I too expected something like Rome and I didn't get it.

I might watch one more episode and if it doesn't improve that'll be it for me.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I'm with Quentin. I think it's terrifically terrible. I didn't see Rome, so I had no preconceived notions. But despite how awful it is, I can't keep my eyes off it. I keep being amazed at gigantic sprays of blood that keep spurting forth out of Spartacus without killing him or seeming to leave much of a mark. He must have enormous blood pressure.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The wife doesn't stick around, to answer above.

It is, to me, terrifically terrible. The blood sprays, the over-the-top action.. it's guilty pleasure stuff but it's so comic book in nature.

I'll stick with it for a while, if only because I do like the visuals.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Finished the 2nd episode today and I like it more then I did the Premiere, don't know if it was a better epsiode or if I just know what to expect. I won't wait with anticipation for it but it does entertain me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks