What's new

Spandau Ballet SACD (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Woo-hooo! Just got an email from Amazon UK saying my order's shipped! :D

Funny thing is, the site STILL lists the SACD as "not yet published". Perhaps once I receive the disc and have personally verified that it is indeed an SACD, I'll write back to them to tell them to fix their little faux pas.

Or perhaps Danny should, since he's already verified this fact for himself...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I believe Sony will give "Through The Barricades" a 2-CD deluxe remastering at the end of the year. No SACD planned yet.

Spandau Ballet left Chrysalis Records (like most of the artists on its roster) following "Parade" and joined Sony Records for (I believe) 2 albums before disbanding. I am hoping EMI will release "Parade" on SACD as well as Spandau Ballet's earlier albums. A SACD to "The Singles Collection" would be great!!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Geez, going to Spandau Ballet's website and clicking on the "True" 20th Anniversary Enhenced Edition CD, there's a lot we're missing out on the SACD. New liner notes by Gary Kemp, videos, etc.... perhaps need to buy another copy of the same album!!

Also, click on the News section for the info on the upcoming expanded "Through The Barricades" CD + DVD. I sure hope the DVD is one of those all-region DVDs.

The more I compare the SACD of "True" to the CD of "The Singles Collection", the more I want all of Spandau Ballet's entire catalog on SACD. Their early songs sounds so different than the ones in "True" and "Parade" (I had the cassette to this one). This band is definitely more than just the song"True", which they will always be identified with.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Absolutely! I have copies in one form or another of all 6 albums, and it's "weird" to hear how different they are. Admittedly, Journeys To Glory (their debut) isn't quite to my taste, and some tracks on Diamond (their 2nd) are a bit offbeat too.

I wonder, though, right now, are Spandau associated with True, or Gold? Or even Through The Barricades?

I had contemplated buying the remastered CD as well (see comment in post #3), but I figured a fair bit of this stuff, in particular the alternate cut of the "Gold" video, might appear on a subsequent DVD collection of videos, so I think I can hold off -- for now. In the meantime, where's my VHS copy of the The Best Of Spandau Ballet videos? :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Amazing. Amazon UK shipped on the 28th, it just arrived this morning, 3 days after shipping. I'm now spinning my new disc in my CD player (in the office); I'll have to wait till I get home to hear it in SACD though.

:D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming,

From an American perspective, Spandau Ballet will only be associated with the song "True". I am afraid to say people here consider them an "one hit wonder", despite scoring 3 Top 40 hits ("True", "Gold", and "Only When You Leave"). While Spandau Ballet is as popular as Duran Duran everywhere else on the planet, it wasn't happening here for them then. Hey, we had (and still have) Bon Jovi. :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Even though I personally prefer Spandau to Duran, I will concede that worldwide Duran were and are more popular.

Not surprising that Through the Barricades wasn't a hit in the US, IIRC it's supposed to be in some ways a commentary on The Troubles.

Had a quick spin of a few tracks of the SACD last night at home. Wow
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks