What's new

Spaceballs CE: Nose Gag Fixed (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I managed to pick up "Spaceballs" the Collector's Edition today. I know it's not due out until May, which actually surprised me that a well known Canadian retailer would have it on the shelf. Regardless, I picked it up. Although I only skimmed through it, both picture and sound are amazing, especially the DTS track.

Anyway, the reason for this thread is to touch on the controversial "nose gag" evident in the last DVD release where part of Princess Vespa's old nose was cut off-screen when the picture was held up. Many thought it was part of the gag itself, whereas the nose extended to the next theater. Well, while skimming through this new edition, the gag was the first thing I looked for. As you can see from the screencap below, the nose can be seen in its entirety.

ORIGINAL DVD

COLLECTOR'S EDITION

I checked on both my PC and my 52" RCA RPTV in case of overscan. Sure enough, it's visible on both.

I haven't checked much of the features yet, but there's an option to watch the movie in "Ludicrous Speed" which is pretty funny.

I won't say the name of the retailer who sold this early, but as I said, it's a fairly big Canadian retailer. I'm unsure if posting this information is even allowed. If not, I sincerely apologize.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well it's cropped a bit on the left, but obviously on the right there's much more information (You can see "M.D." after the doctor's name!) Also the old transfer is cropped just a hair on top and bottom, as well. Not to mention better color. So, a great job on the transfer!

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Totally spaced on the nose gag in my review. :) Ah well.

New transfer = beautiful. Does anyone know if Lowry did the honors?

DTS audio = no big deal. It's 95% center channel.

Mel Brooks needs someone to sit with him on the commentaries because he, um.... loses focus.

There is a good making-of that has almost all of the cast and is not fluff, a long chat between Brooks and his screenwriting partner and a very nice tribute to John Candy. Forget the Desperate Housewives cast, Daphne Zuniga looks great at 43. :D

Oh, and there's a great segment where they point out all of the bloopers you can see on screen, like camera tracks and such.

Bottom line: well worth it.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, it shows the clip where Rick Moranis yells, "Ludacris speed............GO!!!". It then shows the movie from beginning to end, in the span of about 30 seconds. At the very end, it shows the warp animation, then Rick Moranis, flying, then crashing. It's pretty funny and makes a great extra for the movie. That, and the Mel Brooks commentary are on disc 1. The rest of the extras are on disc 2.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
LOL! Oh man, that is by the most original and hilarious feature I have ever seen! Again, SOLD!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
you lucky bastard!

If you have some free time, could you post menu captures so we could see what the new format looks like?

:)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

As requested, here are the screencaps of all of the menus on the discs:

DISC #1

MAIN MENU

SCENE SELECTION

SPECIAL FEATURES (DISC 1)

LANGUAGES

DISC #2

OPENING MENU (HIGHLIGHT WINNEGAGO)

MAIN MENU

GALLERIES

FEATURETTES

TRAILERS

FUN & GAMES

I also included a screencap of the script to screen comparison. I only skimmed through this, but you get the option to watch the entire movie in split screen mode. The actual movie is on the right, and sketches, text, etc appear on the left. An excellent feature if you ask me.

Every menu is basically a still image with certain visual effects. Each menu is also accompanied by a different sound byte taken from the movie. As a huge fan of "Spaceballs", this Collector's Edition is a godsend. Most definitely a million times better than the previous release.

By the way, when you get this, be sure to check out both DINKESE MONO and MAWGESE MONO in the Languages section. I won't give it away, but I literally laughed my ass off. lol

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

I honestly don't know. All I can say is that I was walking around the mall this morning and there it was sitting on the "New Releases" shelf in the store I usually shop at. I was actually dumbfounded when I saw it there, considering it wasn't supposed to be released for another couple of weeks. It was obviously distributed here in Canada since the packaging is bilingual (which sucks). I probably should've asked the sales clerk why they had it before anyone else, but I figure, why mess with a good thing. lol All I can say that this morning was indeed a welcome surprise for me. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Tremendous how the menus mimic the Star Wars DVDs.I wonder if the menu environments will be random as well. Can't wait.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Heh, Dinkese and Mawgese language tracks, I'll be sure to check that out. And the menu shot for that is great! "Hello ma baby, hello ma honey, hello ma ragtime gal..."

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, are you sure all the copies were bilingual and you didn't just grab one of the French versions like w/ Fargo?

Also, is it in a normal dual slim-line amaray keepcase or some other type of packaging and does it come with a slip cover?

I might have to put in a pre-order w/ a US retailer now...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Yes, all the copies I saw on the shelf were bilingual. I took scans of both the front and back covers. On the front, the french text is indicated by a red arrow. On the back, I surrounded the french text using a red border:

The discs are indeed kept in a dual slimline Amaray, and yes it does come with a slip cover. Both the slip cover and DVD case are bilingual.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
interesting to see that while dts is on the menu, the sleeve omits that info.

I bet that will scare a few people when they are going to pick it up.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

Actually it is on the packaging, in very tiny print on the lower left-hand side, just above the MGM logo. It's extremely easy to overlook. I wasn't even aware it had a DTS track until I brought it home. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks