What's new

SPACE: 1999 Season 2 Coming To Blu-Ray! (1 Viewer)

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I received my blu-ray copy today, here in Canada. The disc is really region B/2 so, if you are not from UK or Europe, you will need a region-free blu-ray player to watch it. I rapidly surfed the two parter episode to see what it looked like. I can confirm that the video quality is really impressing. As for the sound, I'm disapointed. I thought it would be a definitive product with 5.1 surround sound mix, but it is not. In fact, the first part episode has a pretty flat mono sound. The music soundtrack is way out in backgroung. It sounds like the Metamorph episode soundtrack with the Season 1 bonus disc. Part two of the episode sounds better but still mono. I sure hope the season 2 set that is coming out in the fall of 2015 will have a clear, clean and surround soundtrack mix restauration. Keep up the good work, Network!

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I wouldn't count on the season release next year having better audio. With "The Metamorph" and now "The Bringers of Wonder", it's clear that the audio is being remixed on all episodes to crush the music beneath the sound effects. I think it's being done deliberately, probably because the persons responsible hate Derek Wadsworth's music. Which just happens to be the topic of choice today on the Year 2 Haters-- I mean Space: 1999-- Facebook group. It's a bitch-fest this morning against Wadsworth's compositions.It's going to be a sad, SAD outcome for LDs, DVDs, and even VHS to sound better than Blu-Ray, but that's what's coming, folks. We were kept waiting all these years just to get a feeble music component to a mono track on all episodes.Network is curiously silent on its Facebook page about the expected audio for the box set.You know, I'm not all that gung-ho about 5.1. I just want the episodes to sound like they did on LD. A forlorn hope, from all indications.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Well, Network has confirmed the Season 2 set will have 5.1 audio. We have that much to look forward to. ... But even 5.1 can be mixed to crush the music under the sound effects (as has been the case on certain of the James Bond movies). Time will tell, I guess. But the fans do the cause no favors by debasing Wadsworth's music in forums viewable by Network...I still don't have my "Bringers of Wonder" disc. Naturally not. When it comes to Space: 1999, frustration is the way of things for me. The universe would fall into chaos if it wasn't so.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
That's good news, kevin. Thanks a lot for the update on the soundtrack of series 2. But, where did you find that statement from Network? On their Facebook page, they completely ignore our questions about that. Finally, I find rather stupid to sell a foretaste blu-ray that is not definitive. A curious way to make business.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Martin, it's on the Network Facebook in a reply by Network in the Posts to Page section, fourth post down.Presumably, the "taster" BD was meant, with its sales, to help defray the cost of the 5.1 mixes on the episodes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Kevin L McCorry said:
I think it's being done deliberately, probably because the persons responsible hate Derek Wadsworth's music.
I think that's a pretty big leap on your part. I highly doubt Network would 'bury' Wadsworth's score because someone 'doesn't like it.'

I suspect this disc is a 'work in progress' and isn't necessarily meant to represent how the episodes will sound on their eventual release.

I know there is at least one music cue specific to Bringers that (at least, at the time of the Fanderson CD release) was missing the synth solo track in the original elements, so there could be some problems in the music tracks, too.

As one who prefers original audio mixes, I'm sure the original mono will be on there anyway.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
When it comes to the preeminence of the fans who despise Year 2, nothing can be dismissed as a possibility. We do know that they, in their infinite wisdom as a like-thinking herd, view Wadsworth's music as "too intrusive". They also use rather more pejorative descriptions, but I'll leave it at that.If someone of their persuasion is overseeing the audio work or has some influence over decisions regarding it, it's not that big a leap.As I say, there is a precedent for minimized music levels in remixed tracks. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the most egregious example.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Kevin L McCorry said:
Martin, it's on the Network Facebook in a reply by Network in the Posts to Page section, fourth post down.Presumably, the "taster" BD was meant, with its sales, to help defray the cost of the 5.1 mixes on the episodes.
Thanks Kevin L! It was pretty easy to miss that. I can't believe Network has not informed fans before buying the taster blu-ray. We would have been more comprehensive about it. However, I wonder who gave them this rotten idea to sell a half completed product? Everyone would have been more excited if the blu-ray taster was in surround 5.1. I question their maketing choices.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Kevin L McCorry said:
I wouldn't count on the season release next year having better audio. With "The Metamorph" and now "The Bringers of Wonder", it's clear that the audio is being remixed on all episodes to crush the music beneath the sound effects. I think it's being done deliberately, probably because the persons responsible hate Derek Wadsworth's music. Which just happens to be the topic of choice today on the Year 2 Haters-- I mean Space: 1999-- Facebook group. It's a bitch-fest this morning against Wadsworth's compositions.It's going to be a sad, SAD outcome for LDs, DVDs, and even VHS to sound better than Blu-Ray, but that's what's coming, folks. We were kept waiting all these years just to get a feeble music component to a mono track on all episodes.Network is curiously silent on its Facebook page about the expected audio for the box set.You know, I'm not all that gung-ho about 5.1. I just want the episodes to sound like they did on LD. A forlorn hope, from all indications.

So it's "clear" is it , even though you don't actually have the BOW disc . Maybe if you did , you'd realise this is the mono soundtrack as is . There is no remix as there was no remix on The Metamorph.

As the music is one of the most important and popular elements of Year 2 I doubt that Network would ensure disappointment.

The music is the same mix as on the dvd's .
While a 5.1 version gives them the opportunity to play with the levels I doubt they would change anything and they might even have learnt from the mistakes of those who created some of the "adjusted" remixes on the Bond Blurays.

As for the opinions of people on Facebook , we may never .......

....care

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
youworkmen said:
So it's "clear" is it , even though you don't actually have the BOW disc . Maybe if you did , you'd realise this is the mono soundtrack as is . There is no remix as there was no remix on The Metamorph.

As the music is one of the most important and popular elements of Year 2 I doubt that Network would ensure disappointment.

The music is the same mix as on the dvd's .
While a 5.1 version gives them the opportunity to play with the levels I doubt they would change anything and they might even have learnt from the mistakes of those who created some of the "adjusted" remixes on the Bond Blurays.

As for the opinions of people on Facebook , we may never .......

....care
I hadn't even noticed that Kevin was just going from heresay rather than first-hand observation, or I wouldn't have bothered commenting! I'll blame it on the bronchial infection I've been fighting the past few days!

I truly feel we have nothing to worry about. If it were A&E spearheading the effort, then yes, I'd be worried until there were some published reviews, but Network have their good reputation to uphold, and I really don't think they'll disappoint us when it comes to the season set. Most labels of their size probably wouldn't even have tackled such a remastering project as Year Two (not for content, but for the whole problem with the original elements).

Also, I'm so surprised that there seems to be a hatred for Wadsworth's music. The music was always, IMO, one of Year Two's strong suits, and I was extremely delighted when soundtrack CDs started to appear over a decade ago.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
AndyMcKinney said:
I hadn't even noticed that Kevin was just going from heresay rather than first-hand observation, or I wouldn't have bothered commenting! I'll blame it on the bronchial infection I've been fighting the past few days!

I truly feel we have nothing to worry about. If it were A&E spearheading the effort, then yes, I'd be worried until there were some published reviews, but Network have their good reputation to uphold, and I really don't think they'll disappoint us when it comes to the season set. Most labels of their size probably wouldn't even have tackled such a remastering project as Year Two (not for content, but for the whole problem with the original elements).

Also, I'm so surprised that there seems to be a hatred for Wadsworth's music. The music was always, IMO, one of Year Two's strong suits, and I was extremely delighted when soundtrack CDs started to appear over a decade ago.

I don't think Network have taken a wrong step ever with remastering. Where new mixes are offered they also ensure the original is there for purists . Why would they waste time and money playing around with a mono track that will be there purely for those who want the original sound ? They wouldn't. No benefit in changing it at all.

I'm not a fan of the more "discoey" elements of Wadsworths music , and there's a fair bit of that in BOW but his scores for The Taybor , The Exiles and other earlier episodes are exemplary . The Fanderson double disc cd soundtrack is one of my most prized discs.
For some of the more ludicrous second season episodes its the music alone that makes it bearable.
I'm very excited about the prospect of hearing it in 5.1.

The Year 1 sound remix was stunning and really opened the soundstage up and added greatly to the atmosphere so I can't see why the same won't be said about Year 2.

While I can understand some complaints about Wadsworths music - examples being what gets used in the awful Freiberger "running around Alpha after a monster" episodes , the majority is excellent .
My favourite piece composed for The Taybor does get reused in sections of The Bringers Of Wonder .

The only disappointment about this latest 1999 disc from Network was that the 5.1 sound was not yet ready

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
I finally have the disc, and I'm watching it now. The audio sounds perfectly all right. Nothing like the audio for "The Metamorph", in which the music was weak. Something was done to the music on that, and whatever it was, I hope to never see (I mean, hear) it repeated.If the music on all the episodes is as good as the music here, you won't see me complaining. Mono or 5.1.If this does show the Facebook crowd to be wrong about something, then I applaud it. If they're wrong about that, then who's to say they couldn't be wrong about other things?Now, I'm going to sit and enjoy "The Bringers of Wonder".

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Based on Network's track record, I think we're in for a nice release next year of Series Two.

The HD copy of "The Metamorph" that was on the Series One release was something they acquired as a bonus feature, but wasn't something that they prepared themselves, IIRC. In that case, they just used what was given to them as a nice supplement to round out Series One.

Part of what has held up Series Two is the expense of having to take the time to really go through the sound carefully and correctly. Now that they're committed to doing so, we should be in good shape there.

And unless I'm mistaken, the US release will most likely not be handled by A&E or Lionsgate. There is likely to be a different American distributor - which may be a very, very good thing. Even so, I don't anticipate the stateside distributor to be contributing a bunch of special features. I'm very curious to finally see the extras that Network stacked up ten years ago when they did that first round of interviews. I'd love to see if they had thought far enough ahead to have Anderson or Byrne do any commentaries, but that's sadly unlikely.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
Based on Network's track record, I think we're in for a nice release next year of Series Two.

The HD copy of "The Metamorph" that was on the Series One release was something they acquired as a bonus feature, but wasn't something that they prepared themselves, IIRC. In that case, they just used what was given to them as a nice supplement to round out Series One.

Part of what has held up Series Two is the expense of having to take the time to really go through the sound carefully and correctly. Now that they're committed to doing so, we should be in good shape there.

And unless I'm mistaken, the US release will most likely not be handled by A&E or Lionsgate. There is likely to be a different American distributor - which may be a very, very good thing. Even so, I don't anticipate the stateside distributor to be contributing a bunch of special features. I'm very curious to finally see the extras that Network stacked up ten years ago when they did that first round of interviews. I'd love to see if they had thought far enough ahead to have Anderson or Byrne do any commentaries, but that's sadly unlikely.
Unfortunately, I suspect you are right about the unlikelyhood of "banked" commentaries. I'd say the best we can hope for is (maybe) Year Two-centric interview footage from the same sessions as the Year One interviews.

Perhaps they could get Nick Tate and/or Catherine Schell in to do a commentary or two? The AB Chrysalis might be a good candidate.

I think it would be interesting if they interview some of the "second-tier" regulars, like John Hug, and late-comers Sam Dastor and Alibe Parsons.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Andy, I agree with you. I'd love it if they could pull in Nick Tate or someone else out of the cast to talk - I'd be happy to hear from Zienia Merton too. We'll have to see what happens. The new US distributor may wind up playing a part in this as well. (I believe Tate is in the States...)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
This release has been delayed so long, you'd swear it were due to legal entanglements or something, ala 60s "Batman". That, or it was just never on Network's high-priority list. The company says it's coming sometime this fall, but I have heard absolutely nothing since that announcement last year. (I don't frequent "S:'99" forums, so maybe I've missd something). I find myself kind of wishing the "Space 2099" remake had taken off/ happened, because at the least that would have tempted Network to fast-track the original.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The release hasn't been delayed at all.

When Network announced it last year they said that Year 2 would be here in the Autumn so what more is there to say.

It's coming in the Autumn and that's the end of it.

Network have a large roster of titles scheduled so it really would be a waste of their time to keep announcing which ones were still on schedule.

The next announcement from Network will be the release date or news of a problem resulting in a delay.

As they say , no news is good news.

And Network were quite clear over the years since Year One came out that Year 2 was not high on their priorities although this seems as if it was mainly because they didn't think it was popular enough to sell enough copies to make it worthwhile of going to the necessary expense of creating the 5.1 tracks.

There's no doubt that the rarity of Year 2 on disc for many years has helped to increase interest in it so I hope those new to it when the Bluray comes out are not too disappointed or expecting something similar to Year One

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Tom St Jones said:
I find myself kind of wishing the "Space 2099" remake had taken off/ happened, because at the least that would have tempted Network to fast-track the original.

There was too much restoration work needed (so, time and expense) to "fast track" it as you would say. The original, individual elements (sound elements, mainly, as I recall) either were in a lot worse shape, or were not as well-catalogued as those for year one.

As David said, no news is good news, hopefully.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Network are usually pretty open about any problems that might pop up on anticipated releases. As they made quite a big deal about the announcement that it was actually going to be released I would expect any delay to be announced at their earliest opportunity.

Network have a good track record when it comes to keeping fans informed.

Having watched Year 2 on dvd again last year I'm not sure if I'm now going to buy it on release day so I hope Network come up with something special or Limited to make a day one purchase essential

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks