What's new

Space 1999 Mega Set Bonus Disc (1 Viewer)

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, you read right. There is going to be a seventeeth
bonus DVD with the Space: 1999 Mega Set to be released by A & E this month. Details are sketchy but there will reportedly be remastered episodes (probably first season) with audio commentary by Sylvia Anderson, Johnny
Byrne, and Christopher Penfold with additional extras duplicated from the British and French R2 releases. My guess is the remastered episodes will be "Dragon's Domain", "The Testament of Arkadia", and "Death's Other Dominion" as those are the episode transfers that have tended to receive the most complaints.
Strange thing is, only Best Buy seems to be offering the 17 disc Mega Set. All other retailers won't have the bonus disc. Strange.
Really, what A & E should do is offer the bonus disc either for free or at a discount price to everyone who has bought the Space: 1999 DVDs in their 2-disc sets. As much as I'm intrigued about the bonus disc, I'm not sure I want to repurchase the entire series to get it, especially as a few of the first season discs I find unsatisfactory due to flaws in the transfers.

Christopher D

Second Unit
They *have* to do something like that, otherwise it's completely unacceptable. It's bad enough 1) that they have to take up so much space with so many discs that they don't need to use; and 2) that the early adopters who buy the individual sets already pay so much more. It would be completely unfair to not make the extra disc available to those who have faithfully bought the individual sets.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I see Best Buy's listing as "with bonus disc" and it listed as a 17 disc set. but Image on lists a 16 disc set. As for the number of discs, I wouldn't want them to cut the number down when they are putting three hours per disc already. If you want to complain about numbers of discs, try Star Trek TOS.

Bill_Moore

Grip
I was so surprised when it first came out on DVD, I rushed to get them. I wasn't sure they would actually go through and release them all. Much less release a mega-set of the whole thing. Oh, well.

They do take up space, but not as much as TOS. Sometime, I'm going to get around to printing out the alternate TOS covers and getting the multi-disc cases for them.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Strange thing is, only Best Buy seems to be offering the 17 disc Mega Set. All other retailers won't have the bonus disc. Strange.
Best Buy also offers bonus discs with their Star Trek: The Next Generation Season sets? Therefore, I wonder if the 17 disc version is unique to BB only. If so, makes me wonder what is on the 17th disc.

Edit after I checked:
The A&E website also lists this as a 16 disc release. So I am beginning to conclude that the 17 disc is a Best Buy only special (like the ST:TNG season sets).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, several places have it for less. DV-Depot are great people tho, and the service should be worth a few extra dollars.

Check out Ron's review thread for details

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
The Bonus disc will definitely consist of the three
remastered episodes, "Death's Other Dominion", "Dragon's
Domain", and "The Testament of Arkadia", plus "Message From Moonbase Alpha", Keith Wilson 1976 interview footage, some deleted "Collision Course" footage, and commentaries from
Byrne and Penfold for "Dragon's Domain", from Sylvia Anderson for "Testament...", and from Scott Michael Bosco for "Death's Other Dominion". And it will for the time being be a Best Buy exclusive. And it seems out of reach for Canadians like myself since Best Buy's online registration form recognizes only U.S. zip codes.

There's talk of it being available from A & E at a later date but nothing definite.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Kevin, BB owns Future Shop, so you may want to check them out b/c they may have the bonus disc, as well.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well this Stinks. Especially if the 18th disk contains Message from Moonbase Alpha the Concluding Filmed Short, that was initially promised on the 2 disk releases. Maybe I should hold up buying A&E product if this is a theme for the future. I Wonder what will be on the UFO Megaset?

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

I checked and Furure Shop is only offering the 16-disc set at an inflated price. Guess I'll have to pass on this one until A & E decides to release the disc separately. A good idea might be to release a further 2-disc set along the lines of The Best of the Avengers. Include this disc and a further one containing any other R2 extras not available in R1 plus improved transfers of a few early Year 2 episodes with the music at a proper level. Don't know why but the music in episodes from "The Exiles" to "Journey to Where"
is lacking in tone on the A & E discs.

Dave,

Indeed "Message From Moonbase Alpha" will be on the bonus disc. Scott Michael Bosco confirmed this to me yesterday.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Great Isn't that just wonderful. Kinda stinks for all of us that bought the disks. I can't really complain as Deep Discount sold these 2 sets for $22 a piece. But those exstras were originally scheduled for the sets. Instead we got 10 versions of the same promos over and over. I would'nt have any ethical problem getting a DVD-R version , anyone have a burner out there ?

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
From what I'm told, A & E planned to release the bonus disc with Set 8, but there was a hold-up getting clearance for "Message From Moonbase Alpha" from the U.K. fan-based
organization that produced it. By the time the problems
were resolved, Set 8 had already been released.

As said above, A & E ought to make this disc available to everyone who bought the 2-disc sets. For free or for a discount price.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1) I agree that anybody who bought set 8 should be able to buy this disc.

2) Given the content of this disc (this is no 'supplement' material, this is must-have stuff), it should have been available with all mega sets.

3) They should have remastered more than 3 episodes, my understanding is that there are many episodes for which the better materials are now available.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
Do you think that there is any chance that A & E will do that?
I'm pretty upset at the moment...
:angry:
A & E should really make this available to people who have bought the earlier discs. It's gotten to the point where I won't buy seperate TV discs simply because the complete set with extras is sure to follow...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Aside from a remaster of the whole first season (which it needs), for completist sake I'd vote for another 2 disk set with the two movie versions of Space: 1999 episodes.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
The reason that the Bonus Disc won't be available with all of the MegaSets is because the majority of buyers already own the individual releases. There really is no point for a MegaSet release at all. I'm sure sales won't be that huge for the Standard Version. Therefore, the Special Edition is being packaged as a Best Buy exclusive in smaller quantities, with less financial risk for A&E. They are obviously hoping the MegaSet w/Bonus Disc will sell in bigger numbers to those people who haven't purchased any of the previous releases. According to Scott Michael Bosco, A&E will sell it as an exclusive to their website, and possibly other retailers, at a later date once they've worked out pricing for the single disc.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I hope they do offer the bonus disk on their site. I am only up to Set 5 but plan on purchasing 6,7 and 8 eventually. I would not buy the Megaset just to get the bonus disk but I would buy it on its own.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The reason that the Bonus Disc won't be available with all of the MegaSets is because the majority of buyers already own the individual releases. There really is no point for a MegaSet release at all.
On the contrary: after getting burned with The Prisoner being available as a MegaSet later on, noticably cheaper than the individual releases that I had bought, I decided from the get-go to wait on a megaset for both Space:1999 and for Secret Agent Man.

Since I got the Monty Python MegaSet for $99.99 at Costco, I decided that this was correct strategy. Now I'm in a dilemma: how bad do I want the bonus disc? Is it worth $30? Because Costco is selling that MegaSet for $99.99, compared to Best Buy's $129.99 price for the same set but with the Bonus Disc. Ah, shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread