What's new

"Southwest will charge large fliers extra fare" - What is your opinion? (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This is a lose/lose situation for any sized flyer.
You are paying a crapload for a seat that is too small. This isn't a people size issue, for the lanky vs. large to duke out, it is a seat size issue. The thing that will have to change is the airlines' attitude about packing us all in like sardines for the ever lovin' dollar. I'm lanky and I'm uncomfortable, even when there is nobody next to me. We want bigger seats!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, I didn't mean that they needed to make ALL seats bigger, just a few rows of them. There could be a premium price for getting seated in them, but it would still be much less than first class.
I just figure it would make sense business-wise, becuase I know there are many overweight people who would fly more if there were bigger seats available at a reasonable price.

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I probably don't take up a full seat, maybe I should pay less. I have a 32in waist and only about 130lbs so I'm tiny.
I'm nearly the same - 30in waist, about 140lbs. Actually, I've been working out to keep that waist from getting any bigger - I look better (more fit), but weigh more (before I started working out, I was also about 130lbs). Funny how that works, gaining weight while getting in shape. Muscle weighs more than fat...

Weight isn't the issue on this airline thing, it's size. And it's not discrimination: Larger people have to buy larger things, and they cost more money. Clothes, vehicles, chairs, food, the list goes on. If you're a big person, you spend more money to buy big things. That's just how the world works. Why should flying be any different? I do think the airlines should give large people a break, however - if the flight isn't full, they should charge them normal price and give them that extra seat for free. But when the flight is full, and a person is so large that they extend onto another seat, then sure, they should pay for that extra seat.

We all know airline seats are too small, anyway. Even I get claustrophobic in those seats. I hate to fly commercial for this (and various other reasons) and use private aircraft whenever possible. If I can't get on a private plane for what I consider a reasonable price, I'll drive. Flying commercial is a last resort.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
You are paying a crapload for a seat that is too small...The thing that will have to change is the airlines' attitude about packing us all in like sardines for the ever lovin' dollar.
Forgetting for a moment that every airline except Southwest is losing tons of money, packing us in like sardines is necessary if you want to be able to pay $69 to fly from Chicago to New York or similar. The airlines could certainly create a lot of legroom and waistroom by reducing the number of seats and cranking up the price of tickets. But then everyone would complain that the cost of flying is out of reach.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
No offense intended to larger people. I can relate, having been overweight in my time...

... but I feel that I must agree with this strategy. In my eyes, it's only fair. Bravo!

Perhaps we should think of it this way:

You pay $X for a seat. Weather or not you take up the entire seat is not (i.e. thin person, child, etc) the issue. The fact is that we've been assigned a limited amount of space to do with as we please (within guidelines of course). That seat is now yours for the duration of the flight. In essence, you've rented an allotment of space for a specific amount of time.

With the seat-rental comes access to amenities, including (but not limited to) seat-tray, food, access to washrooms, armrest, radio, etc. Most important of which is seat-area, in which to fit ones body. This seat-area does not exceed the amount that was allotted to us by having payed our $X rental fee.

However, if someone else were to rent an allotment of space, and infringe upon any aspect of your own (for which they are not paying a rental), they are in essence infringing upon your amenities. They are taking away your access to a resource that you payed for. Yet they are not compensating you for it, nor are they paying for it.

As an analogy, imagine you rented an apartment. You're given a certain amount of space to work with, regardless of the amount of stuff you want to cram in there. It's a surface area that you've rented, and it's yours to do with as you please. However, if you've got more stuff than the apartment can hold, and it starts spilling into other apartments, you are now infringing upon someone else's living quarters.

(I've had this problem with a neighbor of mine storing his crap in MY garage space, so I couldn't park my car!).

It's unfair, and should not be allowed. If, logistically, you can not store something/someone within a certain amount of space (and more is required), they should be required to pursue a course of action that would require them to obtain (and pay) for additional real-estate.

Yes, it sucks... but them's the breaks. I have every right to enjoy what I've payed for, and I consider it discrimination having my rights infringed upon to accommodate someone else.

Moe.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Jay,

The actual policy on United is to charge you for an oversize piece of luggage AND a bike,
which results in two $75 fees. I'm usually successful in talking them out of one of these
fees, but never both.
Hi Cameron, you sure about that? I thought that it was a flat $75 fee, I was charged that when I flew to Alaska with my bike last year on United. I had to buy my ticket through United since I was using FF miles. I am a member of IMBA and also Adventure Cycling and they all have those bikes-fly-free programs except you have to buy your tickets through them. I'm going back to Alaska this year but not bringing my bike this time (backpacking trip).

There are always crafty ways of dodging the bike tax, soft cases and separate cases for wheels and stuff works but then you are hitting the 2 luggage limit anyway. And there's always saying it's not a bike, it's bike parts. Technically, it is just bike parts since you have to disassemble parts of the bike to get it to fit (pedals, handlebar, wheels).

Jay

MichaelG

Second Unit

I am ALL FOR THAT, well then again my girlfriend is a flight attendant so I fly free anyway. But in reality, I would pay more for a bigger seat.

This policy does sound ridiculous, even if it benefits me.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
$69???? Unfortunately, where I fly home to, is not a hub, and there is no way to get there on a direct flight. or below a $300-600 range, so I'm already used to "extra" charges to get where I'm going.
:frowning:

Michael*K

Screenwriter
As many obese people as there are in this country, and there are more and more every day, I find it odd that airline seats are still as small as they are.
I fly United and it seems to me that the Airbus planes have wider seats than the Boeing jets. I'd be interested in seeing the width comparison between the two.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm just missing the point.

What the airlines are selling you is not a seat, nor a seat rental. The are selling you transportation to where the plane is going. While it might be "fair" to charge by weight (like is done for freight.) that is not how the airlines choose to market.

This is a discrimination suit waiting to happen.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I'm 6'1" and 195. I'm big and the seats are too small for me. I have always had to pay more for more food, bigger clothes, bigger tools, etc. What do I get in return? Do I get to beat up the little people?

The planes need to be bigger w/ more "Deluxe seats." One could pay for first class, but they rip your arm off and a leg for it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's only illegal to discriminate based on sex, "race", or sexual preference. Other discrimination is legal in this country. Believe me I know. :angry:

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
If this isn't discrimination, I don't know what is. One cannot legally discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, yet it's okay to discriminate on the basis of size? I don't think so.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, it doesn't matter for the capacity of the plane whether you're black, white, jewish, hindu, male, female, gay, or straight. But it does matter if you're 400 lbs and 45" waist, or 30" waist and 120 lbs.

/Mike

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
yet it's okay to discriminate on the basis of size? I don't think so.
I just don't see the "discrimination" in this case.
It's one thing if this were an issue of a larger person being refused service in a restaurant based on their size. Or if this was an issue of a larger person being denied certain human rights based on their size.
This is an issue of a persons size having a direct impact on:
a) the comfort levels of others.
b) the item that they are purchasing.
And no - I don't think they're just purchasing "transportation"... in this case, it's transportation based upon the mode of transit, which relies upon the distributed use of space among a limited and tightly packed number of individuals.
A larger person takes up a larger area. The area is equal for all people, big or small. If the area that a person consumes is larger than that which has been allotted to them, they should be required to pay extra.
Let's not forget about the person sitting next to the larger individual - who perhaps can't use his armrest, or who has part of their seat taken away? Don't you think they could make as strong an argument of being discriminated against?
"It's unfair for me to have been seated in an area in which I am not as comfortable, based on the placement my neighbour!" - I think that's more than a valid argument.
I find "Discrimination" to be a term that that is thrown around way WAY WAY too loosely in our overly PC society. It's been abused to the point that almost anything & everything can be considered as discriminatory.
(Oh man, I'm going to get FLAMED on this one, I just know it... :) )
Moe.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there something a few years back where there was an airline created just for smokers (when all the planes went smoke free)? Maybe this is an opportunity waiting to happen-an airline for large people?

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out though, and how extreme the cases have to be where two seats will be required.

Knowing the airlines though, one seat will be in row 1, and the other in row 24...

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Let's not forget about the person sitting next to the larger individual - who perhaps can't use his armrest, or who has part of their seat taken away? Don't you think they could make as strong an argument of being discriminated against?
Well put Moe. I never thought of it, but based on other peoples arguments I believe I have been discriminated against!!! Where the hell is Johnny Cochran when you need him?

I don't know what the legal definition is, but the airlines are not simply selling you transportation from Point A to Point B. You have an assigned seat. That is the space you rented from them. Don't believe me? Try this little test - on your next flight, regardless of your seating assignment, plunk down in any available first class seat. Just pick one. Then, when the person who has that seat boards and challenges you, tell them they simply paid for the "transportation to where the plane is going" not the first class seat. Please let us know the results!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The thing that will have to change is the airlines' attitude about packing us all in like sardines for the ever lovin' dollar.
I just read in the WSJ yesterday, that the average profit margin for airlines is 2%. So, "The Man" is hardly puttin' the screws to you.:rolleyes
At 6'1", 180lbs, I could use more leg room than I get. If I want more, I have to seek out Business class, or some American planes I've been on. Either way, more $$ than your basic discounter.
I've had the "pleasure" of sitting next to someone who had to have the armrest up, and seatbelt extender on. Not pleasant! Why is it discrimination? I can't help it that I'm tall, yet if I need more leg room, I have to PAY FOR IT. Maybe I should file a lawsuit.:rolleyes
Ryan,
Tell me more about this private plane thing. It sounds quite intriguing.
Todd

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Can we please not compare racism and sexism to obesity? They are completely different.

While we can try to figure out how to cram more fat people on a plane, here's another solution: fat people should stop eating so much.

FWIW, I'm overweight myself, but not so much so that my blubber would spill over to another seat (5'10", 210 lbs, medium build). If I would be, I'd have only myself to blame.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Huh? Whether they are currently turning a profit or not, aren't they now and probably in the time to come, in it for the dollar? And isn't that why the seats so small and crammed together? ...just trying to figure this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks