Southland (Season 1 and 2)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Alexander, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Anyone catch the pilot episode for this? Outside of "The Shield", I'm usually not into cop dramas, but I liked the edginess of the show. It reminds me of a cross between "The Shield" and "Training Day". If this show makes it, I'm all in.

2. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

I loved it when Ryan arrested Oliver.

If you've seen "The OC", you'll get what I mean. [​IMG]

3. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    It also reminds me of Homicide: Life on the Streets. But I like it, and it did win its time slot, so maybe that is a good sign.

4. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

I refused to watch in on principle. With every commercial on NBC being the Southland commercial with the cop staring off into the distance, after the 1,000th time I said I'm never watching this show.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Yeah, those promos were just plain obnoxious after a while! My wife really enjoys the NBC comedy block on Thursday night (except for Earl, which neither of us find the least bit funny.) In any event, by around 8:45 p.m. (we live in the Central Time Zone) my wife was screaming at the television when it seemed like what must have been the 200th Southland promo aired! We ended up watching Harper's Island just on principle. She fell asleep and I lost interest halfway through when the local affiliate kept breaking in with severe thunderstorm warnings and switching from HD to SD in the process...

I caught the "re-purposed" Saturday night showing of Southland and I hate to say it, but I really enjoyed it! I plan on watching this Thursday, but I am already wincing every time I see this week's promo with the baby in the street! Sheesh... NBC does not know the meaning of restraint. [​IMG]

6. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

They over promote some and don't promote others at all i.e. Life. I don't get it.

7. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Great show imo, love the directing and the cast

8. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    The only problem I have at this point is they really need to give Tom Everett Scott (and a few of the other cast members) more to do. I know this is an ensemble cast and all, but Scott is a police detective and I would think he'd be considerably more involved in investigating the many crimes that the street cops respond to. IMO, they are spending way too much time on the Cudlitz/McKenzie characters. There are FIVE detectives in the main cast, but you would never know that from what we've so far seen. I was hoping for more of a Hill Street Blues and less of an Adam-12, but that's how this program strikes me. Good, but not great. With a few tweaks, though, I think it can be...

9. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    No sooner do I complain that they have to give Tom Everett Scott more to do, and he is a main character in the very next episode! [​IMG]

I really enjoyed this episode. IMO, the backstories of the central characters are a notch above what one usually gets in a police drama of this type.

10. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I thought this episode would be a dud, since the street cops weren't in it, but I enjoyed it very much.

11. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

Damn! I didn't even realize the street cops were missing. And I thought I was an observant person. Very engrossing TV.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I realized that the episode mainly featured the detectives in this past episode, but it was okay nonetheless. I still don't care much for the Regina King character. The uni's are like the marines, being on the front lines, doing most of the chasing if crimes are in progress.

13. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Southland receives a fall renewal commitment. 13-episodes.

Southland renewed by NBC for 13 episodes

It appears quite a few nets are considering abbreviated show seasons.

But, what this also means is that's one more hour out of NBC's inventory for a smaller setup next year. NBC next year has 10 real hours to program - two hours every night, since Leno is grabbing 5 a week. Now it gets interesting. Feels like a reality show of which shows get to make it to the final 10, and which don't [​IMG]

14. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Perhaps NBC is doing this 13 week renewal as an insurance policy. If Leno doesn't make it at 10:00 PM, I imagine the plug would be pulled sometime before January. Southland could slide in as a mid-season replacement at the same time other programs like Medium normally return.

15. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

Which wouldn't be such a bad idea. And I'd like to see them rotate their shows around the year, like how FX and the other cable networks operate.

Great to hear that Southland will be coming back.

16. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt

I can guarantee you many things.. one is this: NBC cannot bail on Leno. NBC has a commitment to Jay that would make cancelling his slot deadly. The studio hasn't developed enough of any other programming to fill in if they made the decision (not even close, they have only 3 new original pilots on que) and their poison pill in the Leno contract is not in any way "small" in fact, it's pretty damn big.

Leno is basically guaranteed he gets a 3 year run, and even if they can him after 3 years, they owe him money for another 2. They offered him an incredible sweetheart deal with tons of poison in it for them to make sure Jay didn't move to ABC. ABC offered a ton of money.. NBC offered primetime with the same guarantees they'd give a latenight host. Jay could pull a .5 rating and it'd still be near impossible to boot him from the spot.

17. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

18. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

crazy ending to this episode...

19. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

It was pretty obvious that could be the outcome. Due to the party he must have 'turned off' his cop sense. I like the actor so I hope it wasn't fatal.

20. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Canceled

A lot of time could be saved by just showing me a series ahead of time.
    If I like it...go ahead and cancel it, save time.