What's new

South Park: Season Fourteen (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can understand how Comedy Central doesn't want anyone to get murdered but do they really think that someone who would kill a person over a drawing is going to be swayed because they beeped out the word 'Muhammad'?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They've now confirmed an "unbleeped" version cannot air on their website, as Comedy Central has noted they can only air a version agreed upon.

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/south-park-censorship-.html

A Comedy Central spokesperson confirmed it was the network's decision to bleep the words.
The Muhammad content is also not available on the South Park Studios website.

A message on the site states: "We do not have network approval to stream our original version of the show. We will bring you a version of [episode] 201 as soon as we can."

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I still have a feeling Trey and Matt will have the last word in all of this. Don't know how or when, but I guarantee they're not just gonna sit back and take it. I hope they hire a couple extra guys for security detail just to be safe.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
We all lost a little of our freedom of speech today. :(
Freedom of speech has never really existed in most mainstream forms of media.

I don't like this censorship, but it's not easy when the group of offendees have been known to kill over things like this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

Freedom of speech has never really existed in most mainstream forms of media.

I don't like this censorship, but it's not easy when the group of offendees have been known to kill over things like this.
Yeah, I wish Comedy Central had taken a stand but when some zealots might hurt or kill people over what they air, you can understand that they may be wary. And if we're talking about freedom of speech, I think Comedy Central is guilty of alot worse sins than censoring this episode. They don't let them say 'fuck' and I don't know of a murder that was committed because of profanity being used on TV.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So the lesson is, if someone says something you don't like, threaten to kill them and you'll get your way. Only those who don't threaten violence need worry about the First Amendment.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, really, it seems plenty of outlets back down just as much from non violent pressure from special interest groups. I'm willing to be if the Muslim commuinty just vocally complained without any hint of violent retrobution and had some kind of Al Sharpton like figure at the helm, the episode still would have probably have ended up censored. This time around, safety may have been a legitmate concern, but usually it's just a question of "will airing the controversial content possibly cost us revenue?"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

So the lesson is, if someone says something you don't like, threaten to kill them and you'll get your way. Only those who don't threaten violence need worry about the First Amendment.
In the past few years, people have gone beyond threats in similar situations though. Comedy Central has censored the language on South Park for years simply because of fear of letter writing and loss of advertisers. To me, that's a lot less valid reason than fear of being murdered.

And I repeat, I think Comedy Central should have taken a stand and aired the episode as intended but I still understand their POV.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Yes. And another important lesson is BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just want to applaud Matt and Trey.

Very bold set of episodes --- perhaps their best ever.

(This has been a knockout season of South Park)

I hope they both prevail in the end.

Joe S

Second Unit
They made their point and Comendy Central wimped out- yes-they wimped out.
Maybe we can get the censored speech online at some point.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the "Super Best Friends" episode has been pulled from Netflix instant streaming. Looks like these episodes could end up like the banned Looney Tunes. Wonder if they are going to air episode 201 tonight. Apparently, they showed a different episode in the 12:00am spot on Wed (technically Thursday morning). I'm wondering if they'll mess with the DVD release of the "Super Best Friends" episode.

Comendy Central wimped out- yes-they wimped out
It's easy to blame the networks for stuff like this (and it is infuriating when it does happen) still, it's hard to blame the people at the networks for not wanting to get in trouble, fired or even harmed by extremists. People's lives get ruined by allegations of racism, even if it's really overblown. I really blame us for these kinds of things. By and large, people really don't have senses of humor and it's allowed us to become a politically correct police state.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
If wonder if Comedy Central's editing of this episode will have any impact on whether Matt and Trey will renew their contracts in a years time? They're obviously not happy about the edits made to this episode or Cartoon Wars 2 in the past so maybe they'll decide they've had enough of Comedy Central and end the show?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A few years back, they got real mad about the last time that Comedy Central wouldn't let them put Muhammad in an episode and pulled the Trapped In The Closet episode (with Tom Cruise) and they signed a new contract then. Between the relative freedom they have on CC and the money they'll offer them, I'm sure they'll sign on again.

Also, I think they're already contracted through S16 or 17 so they aren't going anywhere until after that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, read reports of people's DVR recordings of the latest South Park episode from Cox cable being deleted by Cox. That would suck.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Wow, read reports of people's DVR recordings of the latest South Park episode from Cox cable being deleted by Cox. That would suck.
I've got Comcast and the first part is no longer listed on On Demand and it was there this morning. I will say though that On Demand has been acting wonky for me all week (shows don't save for 24 hours, new episodes aren't coming up) so maybe it's just another glitch but it would be odd timing for that episode to just dissapear.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
This is getting beyond ridiculous. If a cable company is actually going in and deleting people's DVR recordings I am appalled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks