What's new

South Park Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
As Token would say, "I'm out."

Shock value and gross-out humor has its place, but only when it's actually funny. (Granted, that's subjective - this is just my opinion.)

I laughed my arse off during the "Stupid Spoiled Whore" episode, especially during the Mr. Slave scenes, so I definitely don't have a problem with gross, but when it's just gross for the purpose of shock value, I have better things to watch.

After the Christmas/abortion episode and now this one, "South Park" is officially off our PVR season recording schedule.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I actually liked the Christmas episode, but shows like this one have no balance. The Seapeople episode was disgusting, but there was balance to the humor. And once again, remember when Cartman was a likable/pitiable asshole? I haven't liked him since the Passion stuff last season. Now he's just a constant mean asshole.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
You're going to stop recording a show due to two episodes out of over 120+?

And I'm one who loved the Christmas episode, but hated last Wednesday's episode. I love South Park, but the show is well known for having episodes that completely hit and completely miss.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that South Park is hit and miss but I thought this week's episode was a major hit (and like I said earlier in the thread, I think that means I need professional help:)

This week's episode, Die, Hippie, Die, has Cartman trying to rid the world of hippies.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I actually started to Tivo South Park after Critter Christmas, I like the fact that they push boundaries. doesn't matter to me if its just for shock value or not. I still find humor in most of it. But its the Satire that keeps me tuned in.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I too loved Woodland Critter Christmas but didn't get much out of last week's gross-out-fest. This week's ep sounds more promising, although Matt "the other" Stone has a point about the development of Cartman's character. I think they should tone him down a bit -- better to make him at least a little bit sympathetic.

I'm not going to stop watching or anything, because it's certainly true that the show is hit and miss. For every stinker there's also a classic.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved when Cartman was saying how your average giggling stoner hippie and drum circle hippie can lead to the college hippie. It's one of those funny cuz it's true things:)

The one hippie girl's 'Fish' shirt was funny too.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Friggin high-larious! Cartman's presentation was funny...It could grow to the size the likes of which we've never seen! I loved when the mayor shot herself...and then she was in a later scene with a bandage around her head! I'm glad this one was low on the "gross" meter given last week's free-for-all.

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
Just loved the end with Cartman playing with his Tonka radio controlled truck moving piles of pebbles around.

Also liked the references to Michael Bay's Armageddon, music and all!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, they sure turned things around in a hurry. :emoji_thumbsup:

Anyone notice that Mr. Garrison still dresses like a woman, but people still call him/ her/ it Mr. Garrison? :)

Hopefully next week's episode will live up to this one.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ok, a bit routine compared to last week's episode, but I love a good Cartman-centric show. Great breakdown of the different hippie types, from the basically benign "Giggling Stoners" to the more intrusive "Drum Circlers" to the wholly malignant "College Know-it-all Hippies"... brilliant! Speaking as someone who's participated in at least a few drum circles and who owns several hundred hours of Grateful Dead bootlegs, let me just say that the satire was spot-on... as usual! :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I dunno... I'm usually not one to be all critical but this was a pretty routine by-the-numbers ep with nothing really special in it. It feels like the show is running out of steam.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

If you told me this was going to last at least 9 seasons when it first aired I would have said your crazy. Sometimes it does seem like they are running out of steam but I see it as a natural progression for any show that lasts more than a five years.

I though the hippie episode was very funny but considering how often Cartman professes his hatred of hippies I was expecting much more death and destruction. The ending was great, typical Cartman. I am very happy that they dont give him a soft side, would be totally out of character.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. I agree. Could have TOTALLY done without the 6th and 7th seasons of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (huh? they were the best? but Mike said...):D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Of course. Silly, arbitrary rules should always be applied without exception, consideration of circumstance or any effort at thought. That's the whole point of them, to spare people the pain of thinking. :)

Regards,

Joe

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
*sigh*

I was not suggesting there be some law that yanks shows off the air after the 5th season. Just agreeing with a previous poster that in general, more than 5 years is too much because a show runs out of steam. I do wish more shows would go out on top.

How about silly arbitrary posts that exaggerate and build upon an incorrect assumption, do they serve the same purpose?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks