What's new

South Park Season 10 (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Why would they joke about that? People say "they bash everything" but that's absolutely not the case. They'll often make fun of the actions of someone they admire like Rob Reiner or Steven Spielberg and they'll openly profess admiration for their works and then say that they specifically objected to a certain thing they did.

There's nothing whatsoever to suggest that their quote about "Family Guy" was anything but sincere. It doesn't seem sarcastic, it's not an unbelievable opinion and they've never said anything positive about "Family Guy" that would conflict with the statements.

"Family Guy" has a large fanbase but it's pretty much a whipping boy among comedy writers, purists and critics. If you substitute "Family Guy" with "The Simpsons" in their comments it would be shocking because "The Simpsons" is pretty much considered iconic and sacred and reading it, you would think "they must be joking, most people would be honored to be compared to 'The Simpsons'" but bashing on "Family Guy" isn't a stretch at all, it's more like "they bashed 'Family Guy'? Add them to the list".

I've been chased out of "Family Guy" threads here but what's gonna happen when my "Family Guy" hatred is 100% on-topic in this thread after Trey & Matt bash on it oi a "South Park" episode?

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know, maybe the fact that you've already made millions of posts over and over again letting us know you don't like it might mean WE GET IT and you could do the rest of humanity a favor and LET IT GO?

Or is that too wishful thinking?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, which certainly makes it look like a joke. I'd say someone in this thread has an agenda, hacking off quotes etc.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Why does that make it seem like a joke? They sincerely hate "BASEketball". Based on "Cannibal! The Musical" and "Orgazmo", they were offered their "BASEketball" roles during production of the "South Park" pilot and since they didn't think "South Park" would last for more than a season, they took the gig.

Of course, by the time filming started "South Park" was a phenomenon and they couldn't get out of "BASEketball".

They were only actors in "BASEketball", they didn't write, direct or produce it, they didn't participate in the DVD extras and they've bashed it on "South Park", in interviews and on DVD commentaries.

If anything, the fact that they mentioned "Family Guy" alongside "BASEketball" proves that they sincerely hate it.

Considering all the awesome stuff they've written, directed and produced between them I'd be insulted too if somebody recognized me from a crappy David Zucker movie.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Personally, I think that "Bill GrandPre" is an online alias for "Seth Macfarlane" and he's just trying to encourage people to post praise of Family Guy like a hunter beating ducks out of tall marsh grass.

:D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Bill doesn't like Family Guy? Is this new?:confused: I wish he would post that more often so we would all know these things. Maybe he could even put something about it in his signature just in case we missed his posts.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, you must be giddy with anticipation for this one.

I'm pretty sure M&T's opinion of Family Guy will not be very good. I like the show myself, it's hit and miss sometimes, but I get a few good laughs out of it. I've read Bill's comments before regarding the show and I agree with many of them, but I still find it funny. So sue me.

Of course, for me, Family Guy doesn't hold a candle to South Park. Even liking Family Guy as I do, I can't wait to see how they trash it.

I'd also be interested in seeing what the Family Guy reaction is. I'm sure it won't be as cutting.

Since this is the topic of this week's show, I say have at it, Bill!

But after this week, put a cork in it. :D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Family Guy isn't politically driven at all. It's mostly just an excuse for 22 minutes worth of nostalgic stabs at things people remember from the 80's/early 90's.

It's occasionally funny, but not really intelligent comedy.

South Park is a brilliant satire of pretty much ANYTHING.

The first few years can be compared to Family Guy... but what the show has become in the last several seasons is a heck of a lot more political and socially satirical than anything Family Guy could ever hope to achieve.

Making a joke about Bush doesn't make your show political. Making an episode that centers around Stem Cell research, or the recent "Trapped In the Closet" episode does.

Again, comparing the two is like comparing fruits and vegetables because they're healthy...

They're both animated comedy programs, but aside from that have little if anything in common.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

If Family Guy comments on South Park, it'll be a quick joke in passing, not a themed episode. Again, the two shows have completely different focuses.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
We all might be taking the wrong angle on this, too. KYLE is the one who likes Family Guy. CARTMAN is the one who doesn't like it. This might end up being an episode that doesn't even really INSULT the show based just on that.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Or, on the flipside they could be assigning Cartman all the "Family Guy" hate because the Cartman character would allow them to take it so much further, and Kyle is just a natural opponent for Cartman.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

The show isn't above using Cartman as a their mouthpiece when it suits their purposes, such as the episode where all the dirty, smelly hippies congregated in South Park, or the Iraq War episode when he went back in time to consult the Founding Fathers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks