What's new

Sounding flat...any idea why? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
:confused:

I keep seeing quotes similar to this. Only "older" receivers don't process HDMI audio? I think it is more accurate to say that most receivers right now don't process HDMI audio. Going by the older comment I guess these are people that have the means to replace their receivers every year i.e. Elites, Z-series Yamahas, etc.

I did go through the spec pages for Pioneer's and Denon's receivers and for Pioneer, they don't include HDMI audio processsing until you get to the $950 VSX-81TXV, though I am almost guessing at this because this was the first spec page that didn't say "HDMI passthrough".

For Denon it was even more difficult to find this out: I had to download five manuals - and the ones for the 4XXX series are enormous!!! - and go through them using Acrobat's "find" feature. After more than half an hour, (I think) I found that the first receiver to have HDMI audio processing is the $1,300 AVR-3806.

And for Yamaha, according to the Crutchfield site, the $999 RX-V1600 is the first to process HDMI audio: "The RX-V1600 is equipped with two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output for digital multi-channel audio and video signals." Still kind of ambiguous though.

Holy crap why cant the marketing people place this information in an easier-to-understand format on the front page? How about a simple line like Processes HDMI audio? followed by the unambiguous words YES or NO. Sheesh! :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks