What's new

Sound sync issues (1 Viewer)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Ever since I switched from my old CRT rear projection video unit to a Sharp 60" LCD (LED) unit, I have noticed a sync issue with the sound and video. From what I have read, the likely culprit is the 120Hz processing. I like the effect, so I am hesitant to turn it off.
My configuration involves an HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV, and a coax (or optical, can't remember which) for audio from the cable box to the receiver. The receiver is old (HK AVR7000) so it has no HDMI pass-through, nor does it seem to have a general delay setting to delay the entire input.
Which is my best option:
1. Some kind of in-line device for either an optical or coax cable that can introduce a delay (if this even exists)
2. A new, modern receiver
3. Tweak the delay for the "Center" setting only on the receiver. It does have this capability. I should be able to get the voices to match, but will this introduce other audio issues, like if someone is talking out of the left/right speaker, or mess with the music syncing up?
I generally only notice this when watching TV, though it could be an issue with Blu-ray as well, I just don't watch them that often. Does this even make sense? Could it be that the TV can do the processing faster on film-based materials faster than on video-based ones?

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
You might check the cable box to see if it includes the option to internally upscale all of its channels to 1080p.
I'd expect video processing delays in the TV to vary depending on the resolution of the video coming from the cable box (which varies from channel to channel), and that the delay would be less for1080p video from the Blu-ray player, since that'd match the resolution of the TV.
Otherwise, getting a modern receiver might be appropriate. Most include "auto lip sync" which has its timing controlled by the TV its connected to.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I have my cable box only outputting 1080i, so I will check to see if I can do 1080p instead.
Most include "auto lip sync" which has its timing controlled by the TV its connected to.
So it will communicate with the TV via the HDMI cable and add a delay based on what the TV is telling it?
As an aside, when I activate the TV speakers, the sound syncs perfectly, so the TV does seem to have some knowledge of the delay it is introducing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks