What's new

sound proofing a wall (1 Viewer)

paries

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
hello, i am hoping someone has some ideas of experience

So i converted my garage to a theater room.

My house is 20 ft from my Neighbours bedroom. They call us and complain if we are watching a movie with lots of bangs/explosions.

So i looked at the wall that us separating us.

it is just a normal garage wall , with siding-->that blue foam panel--> some cheap insulation and then drywall on the inside.

So am looking for some ideas

i did a little google'ng .

I am wonder if someone has done something simular and if it worked.

I really can not alter the room on the inside. It is completely finished.

so here are a couple of options that i have found
http://www.foampower.com/store/two_component/slow_rise.html
pretty expensive (going to be about $700)

or this may be an option, if i take down the siding on one wall and place this stuff and then put the siding on top of it
http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/sound-solutions/walls/barrier/

Thanks for any suggestions

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Home Theaters and Projects section has a LOT of discussion on soundproofing. Do a search on QuietRock and you should find the different threads.

But one wall won't help with the bass. You will have to soundproof the entire room to contain it. To properly do that it will cost you well over $700 which you think is expensive.

paries

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy
so am i completely wasting my $$ buy doing the one outside wall without doing the rest of the room? will it not help at all?

i am not trying to keep the sound out of the house just my Neighbours bedroom, which closet to the empty outside wall.

i am sorry for being so un-educated about this.

the speakers are facing away from the wall and the sub is furthest away.

i am sure it is the explosions/bass is what they are complaining about

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bass is the most difficult frequency to contain. That's why when a 'boom car' drives down the street, you only hear the lowest notes of the music. They may have the speakers pointed forward,backard or up but the sound travels every direction. I'm just warning you that you may spend a sizable chunk of money on this and it does not help.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Invite your neighbors over when you watch a movie, maybe they won't complain as much.

Also the other house is 20 feet away or are the houses connected?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At my first house, my neighbor was 12' away at the closest point. Now my closest neighbor is 50'. The neighbor closest to the theater room is right at 100'. He says it sounds like thunder in the distance when he is standing in his driveway but he can't locate the exact spot it is coming from. He can't hear anything in his house. That has to do with all of our houses having a brick exterior. Mass is the only thing that can contain low bass. Concrete and brick work best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks