What's new

Sound problems (1 Viewer)

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
Hi, not sure exactly where to post this, I have connected my t.v to the bluray surround system via an optical cable, I have connected both the Sky HD box and the Bluray Surround system to the T.V via HDMI cables. I went into Sky sound options and changed the HDMI sound to dolby digital, this worked fine with all channels except for Sky movies, where I have no sound, I have to change the HDMI sound setting to the default to get sound on Sky movies. Is there any way round this, as I really want to be able to have my hdmi sound left on dolby digital without connecting the optical directly to the sky box.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope, not possible. Your TV doesn't take in DD off HDMI then relay it out(your OM probably tells you this).Most TV used to take DD and dumb it down to 2.0 PCM. A lot of TV don't even do that anymore. You get what you get...nothing.The only way to get DD of a STB is a direct connection to the HTiB. And to boot, HTiB* with HDMI, they don't even take DD on the HDMI, has to be the optical(says that in the manual as well).*All in one, with DVD/BD player.

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
Okay, thanks, it is purely laziness mainly, as I couldn't be bothered to change the optical lead all the time. However while typing this reply, I have just realised I now don't need to worry about this, I have moved my pc upstairs, and no longer have to change the lead over. Thanks again for the reply, I'm sure the information will come in handy for me at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks