What's new

Sound output from samsung smart tv (1 Viewer)

Finster

Auditioning
Real Name
Art Schwabenbauer
Jason, my Samsung TV model number is UN55F6300AFXZA; hope that helps and thanks for your feedback. Does the "trapping" of audio by internal apps also explain the reduced volume that I'm experiencing?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Turning the volume up in the TV is a requirement if you want line-level output.Does your TV not have fixed setting? If not, yep, turn the volume all the way up.

gmneary13

Auditioning
Real Name
Grace
I had to pick up an audio optical cable and plugged it in to get the NETFLIX sound to work and it is working fine except I have to turn up the sound on the BOSE system louder from about 18 when watching everything else to about 30 when wanting NETFLIX sound. I am still looking for that fix. You have to remember to go into your SURROUND sound system and tell it what port is the optical cable coming out and it works fine...frustrating that the sound is so low and I have to turn it up.

cirefont

Auditioning
Real Name
eric
I have a Samsung LED SMART TV UN46ES6150F I bought from Costco in November of 2012. I recently upgraded my Receiver and would like to be able to play my streaming content, Netflix, pandora or my computer media files in another room through the allshare app. Basically anything that is sourced from the TV, not an external box.

I bought a Digital Audio Optical cable and connected it to my tv and to my receiver. When I go to menu->sound->speaker settings the speaker select option has ben grayed out. Is this something that can be turned on in the service mode settings? I had to turn on my clear motion through those setting as well, but i don't see anything that would allow an external speaker in the service mode settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• speaker select.JPG
    speaker select.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 423

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Many TV do not let the "app audio" out.In that screen, are you on an HDMI, the tuner...??You may have to go into settings to activate the toslink first.Your other will be, can this TV digest DTS or(If you got any) DD+.Very few TV can, which is why the internet is littered with..."Using X TV and I have no sound with DTS".

cirefont

Auditioning
Real Name
eric
I've tried HDMI and my Component inputs. I'm never able to get the option to select an external speaker. Or even be able to mute the TV internal speaker. Where is the "toslink" option? And what does that do?Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In your OM, the Toslink is under the SDPIF settings.

The "just about worthless" online manual just says "choose your settings there".

So...go there and mess with those settings, whatever those settings are. Page 101 of the "online universal OM" on Samstung's website.

SugaBooga

Auditioning
Real Name
Yolanda
Hi everyone,
Let me just start off by asking you all to be patient and gentle with me. My husband used to do all of these things and now I'm on my own. A "newbie" I guess you could say. I've got a brand new set up because I am trying to save money and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :huh: :huh: The geek squad was going to charge me some outrageous price to help me but I use the internet a lot so I knew If I could just find the right forum, I could get some instructions. YOU all are so very knowledgeable but this tech talk is like you're speaking a foreign language.

I have a NEW samsung Smart TV (it really is smart) - It has 2 HDMI ports( HDMI In-Arc 2 and HDMI 1 Dvi)
Model # UN50ES6100
I have a NEW Tivo Roamio (1 regular HDMI)
I have a Panasonic 5.1 theatre in a box(Model# Panasonic SA PT770)
Wii U (HDMI out and AV Multi Out) they look the same to me

Do I need to have 5 HDMI cords?

My husband would have been able to figure it out, but I can't. :blink: :blink: I can't get the sound to come through from the TV apps. I have a basic cable service and I'd also like to use the Verizon/Redbox app that is on the tv. I don't go out much so I like to rent movies. But I can't hear the tv apps through the home theater. Can you walk me step by step on what to do. My recently divorced daughter and grandkids are moving in this weekend and I want everything to be set up for them when they get here. I want to surprise them so I got a Wii U too as well as an Ipad. Grandma SugaBooga is smarter than your average bear. ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The number 1 problem with HTiB is lack of functionality. Your HTiB only has 1 digital input. You have 3 devices. The TV, TiVo and WiiU will all have to have a toslink connection, via a 3-1 switch, to the HTiB. What is toslink?That is the digital input your HTiB has. You have no other options...because of the HTiB.

SugaBooga

Auditioning
Real Name
Yolanda
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post here. If you could tell me how to delete that post#29, I will gladly do so.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't worry about it.You actually did it "more correct" than the vast majority of first time posters...(you searched for a relevant thread)Kudos on that.

mlwinnig

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Lee
ARC worked for me!Sammy PN64F8500 plasma and Denon AVR-3312 both have 2 HDMI's which support ARC.Bonuses: Uverse and TV remotes now power on/off TV & AVR and volume control AVR. Screen share now working too! Anynet support in both seems to be a factor. ARC connection was required to get receiver option back for audio output on tv. Smart TV not so dumb anymore! Thanks all for help!

Lilmosquito

Auditioning
Real Name
Kathy
Oh I hope you can help! Having a similar problem with Netflix. I recently bought a Panasonic Smart Tv and have hooked up my external amp via toslink/analogue converter and I can get sound through the speakers fine on everything, including other streaming apps via the tv. The only problem is with Netflix..when I watch it now the sound is horribly distorted, though when I turn the tvs internal speakers on I can hear the normal audio running alongside. I dont want to have Netflix be the only thing I have to listen to through the internal tv speakers...really grateful for any help!

PhilJonesCRS

Auditioning
Real Name
Philip N Jones Jr
The problem: Samsung Smart TV apps would only give sound through the tinny TV speakers. There was no way to get sound to a receiver of or external speakers. All cabling solutions including ARC and optical cable were tried.

The solution: After 5 hours of search this forum and others, nothing worked. Finally used chat on Samsung's support page. 1.5 hours later:

George M: I will provide you with the steps to reset the complete TV.George M: The TV will get back to factory defaults after the reset.George M: Go to Menu>>Support>>Self Diagnosis>>Reset. The default pin will be 0000.

This did it. Everything works fine. Because everything was wiped, I had to reset the speakers as external and output as digital (optical).
Happiness. After 6.5 hours, this was the ONLY thing that actually worked. When in doubt (on ANY type of computer), REBOOT. In this case, reset to defaults.

You will need your password info for sites that require it (like Netflix). You wiped everything, remember?

Also you will need to reset to external speakers, etc.

Enjoy!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
PhilJonesCRS said:
The solution: After 5 hours of search this forum and others, nothing worked. Finally used chat on Samsung's support page. 1.5 hours later:

This did it. Everything works fine. Because everything was wiped, I had to reset the speakers as external and output as digital (optical).
Happiness.
I guess you didn't read my post, that's post 12 on page 1 of this thread, i said the exact same thing, output via optical and mute TV speakers by selecting external, go read it if you don't believe me, you could have saved yourself all those hours.

If you originally tried this and it didn't work for you then there has to have been an issue with your television that resetting everything fixed, the above procedure is still correct for those that have no other technical faults with their TV, resetting everything is a last resort and should only be done when using an optical cable and selecting external speakers does not work.

aidenvl

Auditioning
Real Name
Benjamin Burris
Hey guys, here's my issue with my newly purchased Samsung TV, model #UN55H7150. Samsung customer support is pretty much clueless. I have a Bose Cinemate 321 theater system circa 2006. It only has RCA, so I purchased an optical converter and plugged it into the TV's optical out. What results is that I do get sound via the external speakers from Comcast cable and all other Smart Hub apps, EXCEPT from Netflix and Amazon VOD; can only get sound from Netflix and Amazon VOD by utilizing TVs internal speakers, which is not consistent with why I would get such a nice TV. WTH, is this not the 21st century? A tech at HH Gregg was thinking that the issue may be due to the fact that the TV does not support Dolby Digital, and that my Bose system does not support DD+ or DTS. If so, then why as I stated above, can I hear sound from Bose speakers with Comcast cable and all other apps except fro Netflix and Amazon? Doesn't make sense...i.e., a Blu Ray player still plays regular DVDs...a DD+ or DTS TV should still be able to support DD. Assistance is greatly appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TV do NOT, and won't, support DD or DTS.The only thing they CAN do is pass DD out via digital audio to an external source.No TV, at all, pass DTS from incoming HDMI. Very few(and mostly Sony...and most people who say theirs do it, are using a PS3) pass DD from incoming HDMI.App audio being "Trapped" inside a TV is nothing new.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This question was posted over ten years ago…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks